128GB Pioneer flagship BDR-2208 is the world’s fastest 15x internal Blu-ray drive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

Default 128GB Pioneer flagship BDR-2208 is the world’s fastest 15x internal Blu-ray drive

The Pioneer flagship BDR-2208 is the world’s fastest 15x internal Blu-ray drive that also supports 128GB BDXL media

$99.99 list price

Pioneer in mid November of 2012 plans on releasing their 3rd generation top of the line 128GB BDXL Blu-ray drive that writes single layer 25GB Blu-ray discs up to 15x writing speed. At 15x writing speed this makes the flagship Pioneer BDR-2208 computer drive the worlds fastest Blu-ray drive with the bonus of full support for 100GB and 128GB BDXL optical media.

Pioneer BDR-2208 Blu-ray burner

Installation Manual

Product Overview

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Computer-Drives/BDR-2208
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 PM

/Looks at LG 4x burner.....ponders...
Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Banned

Important Update: There is nothing wrong with the Pioneer BDR-2208 Blu-ray drive. The problem has been isolated to a defective Blu-ray disc that was slightly out of specs.

Possible BD-ROM optical disc incompatibility issue when playing some movie discs

A family member that I know has an unlimited Blockbuster Blu-ray rental membership at the local Blockbuster store, and they bring a new Blu-ray movie home almost everyday. One day they picked up Olympus Has Fallen on Blu-ray, which was released by Sony Pictures. Sony Pictures does not have special rental versions of Blu-ray discs, and instead offers the full retail version discs to Blockbuster for rental.

When I placed the Olympus Has Fallen Blu-ray disc in the Pioneer BDR-2208 Blu-ray drive the disc was not even readable at all (The disc surface was cleaned). The Pioneer drive could not detect what type of optical disc was inserted. I then went to another room in the house which has a second desktop computer with a Pioneer BDR-2208 drive. The same results the Pioneer drive was unable to detect the type of disc that was inserted. So on two separate Pioneer BDR-2208 drives the Olympus Has Fallen optical disc was completely unreadable. However, every other Blu-ray, DVD, and CD disc that I tried works fine with the two Pioneer BDR-2208 drives.

I then discovered that the Olympus Has Fallen Blu-ray disc will play perfectly fine in a Notebook computer with a BD-ROM drive and also the movie plays fine in a OPPO BDP-93 standalone Blu-ray player.

So in theory there is 3 possibilities on why this Olympus Has Fallen Blu-ray disc was unable to be read on two different Pioneer BDR-2208 drives that I tried

1. The most likely possibility is that the Blu-ray disc when pressed at the Sony factory was slightly out of specs and would not play on certain BD-ROM and BDXL drives. I did not have the time to exchange the rental to see if the disc was defective. Many years ago I saw a 20th Century Fox Blu-ray that would not play on certain Blu-ray players since when the disc was stamped it was slightly out of specs. Exchanging the disc solved the problem for that title, however I did not have the time to exchange the rental disc and just watched it on a OPPO BDP-93 instead.

2. Now if every Olympus Has Fallen Blu-ray disc was not readable by all Pioneer BDR-2208 BDXL computer drives, then Pioneer would need to issue a firmware update to fix the problem. My guess is the rental disc was just slightly out of specs and it was not a Pioneer drive firmware issue.

3. In the past some studios on purpose did release special 480i DVD discs that could not be read at all in a DVD-ROM computer drive (In attempt to prevent consumers from using optical discs on computers). As far as I am aware no studio is purposely releasing Blu-ray movies that will not playback in a computer Blu-ray BDXL drive.

To find an answer to the above theories and questions I need to either purchase or rent a copy of Olympus Has Fallen on Blu-ray to see if the same problem occurs with a second copy of the movie. At this time I do not have time to investigate this issue further, most likely it was just a defective Blu-ray disc that was slightly out of specs that was not readable at all on certain Blu-ray drives like the BDR-2208 model.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 11-11-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: important update added
Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Banned

Good news for Pioneer BDR-2208 owners

There is nothing wrong with the Pioneer BDR-2208 BDXL hardware and firmware design. Before Blockbuster closed its doors for renting, I rented another copy of Olympus Has Fallen on Blu-ray and the Pioneer BDR-2208 instantly read the Blu-ray disc with no problems.

The problem has been isolated to a bad Blu-ray disc that was slightly out of specs. I have seen this problem many years ago with a 20th Century Fox Blu-ray that would not play on certain Blu-ray players since when the disc was stamped it was slightly out of specs. Exchanging the disc solved the problem for that title also.

So once and awhile when a Blu-ray title does not load at all on certain brands and models of Blu-ray drives, the real problem is the Blu-ray title being slightly out of specs when it is pressed in the factory.

Same thing can occur on standalone Blu-ray players. When the Blu-ray disc is inserted in a standalone Blu-ray player and the Blu-ray player says “No disc” then the Blu-ray title should be exchanged. However if on a standalone Blu-ray player if the Blu-ray player attempts to load the disc, but fails, then the solution to the problem is to download the latest firmware update.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

There is still a "problem" with the 2208 IMO, let me make a comparison.
For set-top dvd players, I have a $70 Philips, my mother has a $25 Maggotbox. More than once she has borrowed discs from me and they do not play in her player - of which, I say hmmmm, turn on my player, it loads no problem.
Prognosis: The discs themselves may be slightly out of spec and Philips is more forgiving of them. The Maggotbox just miserably fails, cheap quality parts inside.
In the case of the Blu Ray, the Pioneer drive is less forgiving to media issues - I see this as a flaw in Pioneer more than a disc issue. I think I have the 2208, my device manager calls it a 208M.