I might want to get a region free blu-ray player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 PM

Default I might want to get a region free blu-ray player

What are some good region free blu-ray players that will play any blu-ray and any dvd in the world on any tv? I don't want to get another tv to play region free blu-rays and dvds or anything extra. I just want one of those blu-ray players that will play any blu-ray in the world and any dvd in the world on any tv. What are some good places to look for this?

Now I have some Blu-rays from the UK and all of them are region free and they will play on my blu-ray players. As long as I am getting region free blu-rays that will play on my blu-ray players I will not need to get a region free blu-ray player. But when and if I start to get blu-rays and dvds that are not region free and will not play on my blu-ray players that is when I want to get a region free blu-ray.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Former Member

the old method, where people used the LG BH100 and 200 series players to switch coding back and forth are hard to find, expensive, and really a pain in the rear.

there are sellers out there, on amazon, on ebay, selling modified players from most every brand. 0-6 or 7 dvd, a-c blu, some do 3d, as well. you'd have to find one that can do 1080i/50, as that is what causes many issues on "region free" titles that still won't play in america. also, PAL compatibility. i'm quite certain a few users here have some of the newer models available from companies that mod the players. i know one guy who got one, but he's off board right now, haven't talked to him in a bit, probably for the longest amount of time since i've known him.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 AM

I don't think the LG BH200 and others requiring remote code switching are that difficult to use. I have been using the BH200 for over 4 years now and it has been really good. I also continue to use it for HD DVD and DVD some. I also have an inexpensive Momitsu BDP799 clone and like it. Both models I use are discontinued and not likely to be updated further. I have never used a player with a hardware modification but there are many options available if that is how you decide to proceed. If there are any current players hackable with a simple remote code, I haven't read about them
Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 AM

I've heard the $78 Seiki player from Walmart works great.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 AM

For anyone in the UK, Tesco used to sell a 50 budget player - Technika BRSS10. I picked one up for 30 after postage on ebay the other week. Great little player you can remote switch very easily (permanent swap to 0 for DVDs, but ABC for BD). They are now selling a 3D version for 100, but no idea if it can also be region swapped.

It's very small, and has the nicest in-film audio swapping interface I have seen on a player - brings up a pop up menu allowing you to see before you swap. Only downsides are the powercable is hardwired in, so you can't swap that, and it doesn't have optical out. It does have coax digital though - if you want to hook it up to an older non-HD amp.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 AM

The only issue with getting a region free blu-ray player is that you need to make sure that they will play in regions A,B, C. have wifi built in, does not have pal to ntsc conversion built in. Certain Blu-Ray Players like Denon don't have pal to ntsc conversion built in. you will need to buy that extra. You need to be careful. Also with the pioneer region free blu-ray players you need to buy a wifi adopter extra as well and they cost between $75 to 100 depending on where you get it from. Most region free blu-ray players have most of these already built in but please read all fine print first before purchasing a region free blu-ray player.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM

You can find some region free BD players right here -----> www.codefreedvd.com