Cyberlink’s PowerDVD 12 Ultra program is not keeping up with the latest firmware - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Banned

Default Cyberlink’s PowerDVD 12 Ultra program is not keeping up with the latest firmware

Cyberlink’s PowerDVD 12 Ultra program is not keeping up with the latest AACS BD+ encryption keys. One of my family members rented Prometheus on Blu-ray which was released on October 9th 2012. When Prometheus on Blu-ray is placed in a computer Blu-ray drive with PowerDVD 12 Ultra installed the following big red Warning message from 20th Century Fox is displayed on the screen:

“Warning” “Your Blu-ray Player requires an update in order to play this disc.”

The problem is the latest firmware update from Cyberlink’s PowerDVD 12 Ultra lacks the required AACS BD+ encryption keys to play Prometheus. For people that own portable 20.1 inch HD quality Notebook computers and HD quality desktop computer monitors this is disappointing that Cyberlink is not keeping up with the latest required firmware updates.

Prometheus plays perfectly fine on OPPO and Panasonic Blu-ray players I tested since they have the latest AACS BD+ encryption keys to play the latest new releases.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM

Slysoft? It's what I use with my Corel Blu-ray Software.

My wife has the latest with Cyberlink on her laptop and she hasn't had any issues since I loaded Slysoft on her machine.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Banned

Cyberlink came out with a Critical update patch for PowerDVD 12 Ultra owners that includes a update to the AACS BD+ encryption keys. In theory this might mean that the latest Blu-ray titles like Prometheus might be able to play now. Since my family member who rented Prometheus on Blu-ray has now returned it to the Blockbuster store I am unable to verify that the issue has been fixed. The theory is most likely the latest update fixed the issue. Someone else that owns Prometheus on Blu-ray will need to verify if this issue has been fixed.

Perhaps one day I will end up purchasing the Alien Blu-ray collection. Since 99% of the movies I own are watched only once, renting is a big money saver. Its great having a big movie collection but its time consuming to keep movie collections up to date and if 99% of the movies I own are only watched once it sometimes becomes a waste of money to own movies especially when Blockbuster has a unlimited in store Blu-ray rental program for around $15.99 a month. One of my family members has the time to rent a new Blu-ray every day which means it only costs around 50 cents per Blu-ray rental. Sometimes I get so busy with projects that I am lucky if I see one Blu-ray movie once a week or month.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Banned

According to one online user report at the following link. This issue has now been fixed with the latest firmware update:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...14&postcount=5
Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 AM

Funny - my old oem PowerDVD 9 that came packaged in my Lite-On BD burner plays this title just fine - no updates necessary. And it remains free of cinavia (unlike 12). Mine is the A/1 retail version.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:17 AM
Banned

A family member of mine rented Prometheus on Blu-ray for a second time. I have confirmed tonight that the latest Critical firmware update patch to PowerDVD 12 Ultra includes the required AACS BD+ encryption keys to play Prometheus. The movie now loads and plays fine.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
A family member of mine rented Prometheus on Blu-ray for a second time. I have confirmed tonight that the latest Critical firmware update patch to PowerDVD 12 Ultra includes the required AACS BD+ encryption keys to play Prometheus. The movie now loads and plays fine.
So why does an old PowerDVD 9 that came free with my BD burner play this title without any updates without any problems? This whole copy prevention paranoia that these movie studios engage in is pathetic - and what is really frustrating - it punishes good customers and does absolutely nothing to prevent copying or sharing!