New Blu-ray players now require consumers to own a modern HDTV with a HDMI or DVI - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Banned

Default New Blu-ray players now require consumers to own a modern HDTV with a HDMI or DVI

New Blu-ray players now require consumers to own a modern HDTV with a HDMI or DVI input

(Some consumers will now have to wait until they purchase modern HDTVís before they upgrade their DVD players to Blu-ray players)

(For those consumers that do not upgrade their old TV to a new HDTV with a HDMI/DVI input then the Blu-ray player growth rate will be 0% for those consumers).

Blu-ray players play Blu-rayís, DVDís, and audio CDís. Many consumers now know that the HDMI output on a Blu-ray player offers the best picture and sound quality (1080P with lossless audio over HDMI). However not everyone back in the summer of 2006 when the Blu-ray format first launched or even in 2012 was ready to upgrade their equipment to the latest and greatest. Back around 2006-2007 Blu-ray players had legacy 480i composite video connections, 480i S-Video, and component video outputs that support 480i, 480P, 720P, and 1080i. Then around 2008 the 480i S-Video jacks started to be removed from new Blu-ray player models. However, in 2010 consumers still could connect 2006-2010 model Blu-ray players up to their older SD and HD displays by using 480i composite video or component video outputs that supported resolutions up to 1080i. So between the years of 2006-2010 consumers could replace their old DVD players with Blu-ray players without needing to upgrade their TV also.

To make a long story short the reason why consumers now need modern HDTVís and HD displays when connecting the new Blu-ray players is because the major move studios wanted a secure encrypted digital connection

Around Jan 1st 2011 all new Blu-ray player models introduced limited the component video outputs to 480i quality, or like Panasonic Blu-ray players the component video outputs were completely removed starting in 2011. Per the AACS licensing agreements all consumer Blu-ray players manufactured or introduced after Jan 1st 2014 are not allowed to play AACS Blu-ray discs using analog video outputs. The reason the AACS Analog Sunset rules are in place is to prevent the possibility of someone making an unauthorized 480i SD or 1080i HD copy to an external recording device that removes analog copy protection. Technically manufactories can leave 1080i component video outputs and 480i composite video outputs on Blu-ray players if they are restricted to streaming service like VUDU or 480i DVD watching but doing so would cause consumer confusion if the consumer can use the 1080i component video outputs and 480i composite video outputs for everything except Blu-ray movie watching. So all Blu-ray players manufactured after Jan 1st 2014 because of the AACS agreement are now being forced to make Blu-ray players like the OPPO BDP-103/105 with no analog video outputs at all. It is not Jan 1st 2014 yet but some manufactories like OPPO Digital plan on still producing the OPPO BDP-103/105 beyond the year 2013 so they decided to start early by not offering any 480i analog video outputs. The new Sharp Blu-ray players also only contain HDMI outputs with no analog video outputs at all. To make matters even worse the new Sharp Blu-ray players lack left and right stereo analog outputs so a consumer that has a TV set with only a DVI input and a HDMI to DVI adapter will not be able to hear any audio unless they purchase a new TV with HDMI inputs or own a new A/V receiver that supports either HDMI or optical for audio. Some Blu-ray players in 2012 and many in 2013 will only have HDMI outputs for video since they are preparing for the Jan 1st 2014 AACS Analog Sunset.

There are also no adapters one can purchase to connect a modern Blu-ray player up to an old HD display with 1080i component video inputs. The HDMI signal from the Blu-ray player uses a secure HDCP encryption so expensive HDMI to component video converter boxes will not work. Even if a HDMI to component video converter box were able to remove the HDCP encryption so that the consumer could connect the Blu-ray player to their old display the device would be illegal.

I am all for the movie studios wanting to protect their movies from being pirated but the problem is only the Blu-ray player manufactories have signed the AACS licensing agreements. In 2012 HD satellite receivers, HD cable boxes, and DVD players all still have analog outputs. Cable and satellite companies are still making HD boxes that support 480i composite video, 480i S-Video, component video up to 1080i quality, and HDMI outputs that support up to 1080P for modern HDTVís. Some consumers that would have purchased a Blu-ray player end up purchasing a DVD player instead since they do not want to be forced into buying a new TV. Consumers can get their HD programming by using 1080i component video outputs with satellite or cable TV for their older HD display. The Blu-ray Disc Association is limiting their growth potential for several years since they want to get rid of analog video outputs to prevent analog piracy.

In 2012 all flat screens and consumer projectors at Walmart and other retailers are HD models that have HDMI inputs. The average consumer upgrades their main display or TV set every 8 years. In 2005 and 2006 there were some HD displays being made that still did not have a HDMI input. So that means that some consumers that bought TVís without HDMI inputs around the year 2006 will upgrade their main TV around the year 2014 and will be able to then use one of the new Blu-ray players that only offers HDMI outputs for video. The problem is while the average consumer upgrades their main TV every 8 years, many people do not upgrade their other TVís in their home for around 20 years. So that means that it could be around the year 2026 before some consumers upgrade all their DVD players to Blu-ray players in their home.

For those with older HDTVís and Standard CRT TVís that lack a HDMI/DVI input that is HDCP certified there are some used 2010 Blu-ray players available on EBAY and Amazon that will connect to any old display on the market. Both Panasonic and Sony make low cost Blu-ray players that are better quality when compared to many other brands. The 2010 3-D Panasonic DMP-BDT100 Blu-ray player and the 2010 3-D Sony BDP-S570 will connect to older HD and SD displays and can be found on EBAY and Amazon for under $100. The strength of the 2010 Panasonic DMP-BDT100 model is it offers excellent quality when playing even standard 480i DVDís (HDMI connection is required for upconversion of 480i DVDís to 1080P). The 2010 Sony BDP-S570 model strength is that it plays SACDís which is a niche audiophile format that sounds better than regular CDís.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 PM

Do you really think that anyone who owns one of these old HDTVs and has gone this long without a Blu-ray player really cares at this point? If they haven't upgraded from DVD by now, they likely just aren't interested.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Next thing you know they'll want you to buy a receiver just to get the audio. Good thing I bought my players several years ago back when you could pay good money for one. Now the expensive ones are $150. Junk.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:01 PM

I got my first HDTV back in 2004. It had DVI with HDCP, and I bought a pretty middle ground TV. Sets that don't have HDMI or DVI-HDCP are all going to be even older than that 8 year old set.

That set of mine died 2 years ago. I doubt many people have any of these 10 year old sets. Unless you really buy high-end, electronics just really don't last all that long all these days. I'm sure there's a few still out there, but as always, there's ways around the new restrictions for the few who need them.

I really don't think any set made these days will last 20 years. My parents had a mid-1990s CRT that made it that long (and one that's nearly 40 in the basement...), but I doubt much made past 2003 will last more than 10 years.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey

I'm sure you can get plenty of old Blu-ray players on ebay for a song if you're really concerned about it.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 PM

Since I do not care about streaming via a BD player nor 3D, the more I read about new blu-ray player models that are A/V connection deficient and infected with cinavia, the better I like my existing Sony players (S350, S550, S1000ES).