Region Free Blu Ray players - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 PM

Default Region Free Blu Ray players

I'm in the market for a region free blu ray player but I don't want an Oppo, they are just too much money.

Can any recommend any, I have no idea where to look really

thanks
Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 AM

It is a violation of the license to build the player so options are never going to be many. Basically one of two ways to proceed, modification of a name brand player or a fly by night company which will likely not be supported very well. I have two different players, an LG BH200 and Curtis DVD1102 (Momitsu BDP-799), both are modified with a simple remote code and I am happy with both.

Search online, including eBay and Amazon for various players within your budget and then ask here about some players that sound interesting to you, at least that is my recommendation for how you should proceed. One major issue is whether or not you will need this player to be your primary Blu-ray player or if you have a reliable Sony or Panasonic or LG or other player to handle Region A Blu-ray and can get by with the lesser quality all region player. I sure would never rely on my Curtis DVD1102 for all Blu-ray and DVD playback nor would I rely on any of the other off brands for that purpose.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I'm in the market for a region free blu ray player but I don't want an Oppo, they are just too much money.

Can any recommend any, I have no idea where to look really

thanks
Have you tried www.codefreedvd.com?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
Have you tried www.codefreedvd.com?
Never heard of them.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Default Region free Blu

You need to think of what features you want in a region free blu ray player. Not all region free blu ray players have the same features. Make sure that that you read the specs on them first. Stay away from denon, and marantz as they are just too expensive as well oppo and onyko. Stay with brands like Panasonic, toshiba, sharp, yamaha, LG, and Sony. Pioneer is also a good brand but look at them carefully.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredreed View Post
You need to think of what features you want in a region free blu ray player. Not all region free blu ray players have the same features. Make sure that that you read the specs on them first. Stay away from denon, and marantz as they are just too expensive as well oppo and onyko. Stay with brands like Panasonic, toshiba, sharp, yamaha, LG, and Sony. Pioneer is also a good brand but look at them carefully.
What is wrong with Oppo?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:53 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Insignia-NS-...item2ebd30b172
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 PM

Default Region free Blu Ray Players

All I'm saying is that many people who are probably on a budget may not be able to afford a oppo considering it's price tag. There's nothing wrong with an oppo except for it's high price tag it carries.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredreed View Post
All I'm saying is that many people who are probably on a budget may not be able to afford a oppo considering it's price tag. There's nothing wrong with an oppo except for it's high price tag it carries.
Ahhh ok, it sounded like you were saying avoid it because there was something wrong with it or something. Sorry I assumed that.