Best to hold out on a blu ray player or get one now??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-22-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Best to hold out on a blu ray player or get one now???

I currently have a ps3 in my bedroom and if theres a movie id really like to enjoy on my sony bravia xbr i'll simply remove the ps3 and plug it in the living room. However, with more and more movies coming now i am considering simply purchasing a standalone player now for my living room.

I current have a hd-a20 in the living room so adding a standalone blu ray player would be nice to have in there as well.

I have a sony 40 inch xbr 1080p television. So should i make the jump for a player now? Or should i just hold out? Also, if i do get a player now what would you recommend? Or what should i hold out for?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-22-2007, 02:45 AM

What about another PS3?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:54 PM

Well, since I have a question that is VERY similar, I guess this is a good place to ask.

If I had to choose between the Samsung BDP-1200, or the PS3, which is a better BD player? If I were to get one of these players, what does 'the other' do that I would be missing (i.e. 24fps output, HD audio codecs... I don't care about analog outs... I'll use HDMI).

Lastly, in line with the OP's question, would I be better off waiting for a few more months and getting the 3G player? I am in NO hurry to buy, and will probably wait for a 'uni' player (and give my HD-A1 to my father-in-law), but if I decide to go seperate, which player should I get, and why?

Please don't give a one word answer... I want to know 'why' you think the player you suggest is the best 'bang for the buck'.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

I got the Panasonic DMP-BD 10AK and It came with 5 free movies in the box. Pirates 1&2, Fantastic 4, Transporter, and Crash. I also get 5 MORE movies for free with that mail in offer. Go to Best Buy and try to talk them down to $499 like I did. So for $499 you get an awsome stand alone BD player and 10 movies for free. That deal can't be beat.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:05 PM

Hi,

Any specs on the new Denon yet?

G.A.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers Fan View Post
I got the Panasonic DMP-BD 10AK and It came with 5 free movies in the box. Pirates 1&2, Fantastic 4, Transporter, and Crash. I also get 5 MORE movies for free with that mail in offer. Go to Best Buy and try to talk them down to $499 like I did. So for $499 you get an awsome stand alone BD player and 10 movies for free. That deal can't be beat.
Whoa! - What info did you use to talk them down to $499!!?
Do you like this player? Its got more of the features I want, especially audio.
With the free movies its a good deal.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 PM

I decided to just hold out until the holidays. Until then i'll keep using the ps3
Old 08-01-2007, 08:27 PM

the ps3 is a good choice it has truehd and loads BD-J a lot faster than any other player can output bitstream or PCM audio and 24hrz video it is also one of the cheapest players
Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 PM

I've had a PS3 since November, but really, really want a BDPS300. I've finally talked myself into it because;

1. That sucker is pretty inexpensive. I have watched the BDPS1 for 18 months now every day at work eight hours a day, my PS3 for 9 months, and when we hooked up the BDPS300, I noticed NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL with PQ/AQ.
2. I don't have or plan on purchasing a TV with HDMI 1.3, (Sony KDS50A2000) any time soon, nor an HDMI reciever. I can use the analog outs/in's for uncompressed audio.
3. Would be using it for BD/DVD playback 99% of my movie watching time without worry of overheating. That sucker is cool to the touch after 12 hours of continuous play.
4. IF BD titles with advanced Java come out and I absolutely need to watch those special features, I can use my PS3.
5. Firmware IS upgradable and Sony is good at fixing problems/improving functionality on a regular basis. (Adding True HD to BDPS1 for example, and improving load time, etc.)
6. By the time I need to purchase a new BD player, it will be dirt cheap and do absolutely everything I will need it to do without question, and I can move my old one into my bedroom.

SO... If you have a PS3 already and want a second player, Definately! If it's your first BD purchase, you may want to wait untill the end of the year. It all depends on what your willing to spend and how much of your HT is already built.