Looking for a new player.... - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 155
Default Looking for a new player....

Hi folks. I'm in the market for a new player. Needs to do the following

1. Play mkv with dtshd and truehd audio from USB drive.
2. Mount ISO files of DVD and blu ray rips with menus from USB drive
3. Decent set of steaming services preferably with amazon void and hbo go.
4. Fast interface/playback spin up.

Possible?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 387
Default

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by signia76 View Post
Good luck.
Ugh. That bad eh. I could do without the ISOs probabliy. I figured that is probably a big part of my tall order. Top 3 recommendations in general maybe taking what i said into consideration? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
OneManShow's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergroov1 View Post
Ugh. That bad eh. I could do without the ISOs probabliy. I figured that is probably a big part of my tall order. Top 3 recommendations in general maybe taking what i said into consideration? Thanks.
For what you want, a HTPC sounds like the best option.

Edit: Also keep in mind all new blu-ray players will have Cinavia, so using a bd player for playing your ripped media files is not a good idea.

Last edited by OneManShow; 07-09-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Favelle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergroov1 View Post
Hi folks. I'm in the market for a new player. Needs to do the following

1. Play mkv with dtshd and truehd audio from USB drive.
I have never seen a Blu-ray player offer this function.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Bryan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 319
Default

An Oppo BDP-93 is going to be the closest you'll find ... (and that's if you can find an older one that didn't get the firmware update that removed the ability to play .ISOs from an attached USB drive.) Pretty much the only thing on your list it won't do is .MKVs with DTS HD or TrueHD. (it'll play the DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 cores out of them, but not the full lossless versions)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
OneManShow's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
An Oppo BDP-93 is going to be the closest you'll find ... (and that's if you can find an older one that didn't get the firmware update that removed the ability to play .ISOs from an attached USB drive.) Pretty much the only thing on your list it won't do is .MKVs with DTS HD or TrueHD. (it'll play the DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 cores out of them, but not the full lossless versions)
But if he gets an older one without the firmware update, he'll only be able to use it to play media files and older discs since a firmware update is required every few months to be able to play new blu-ray discs. A cheaper alternative for playing media files would be to get the WD TV Live media player (plus no worries about Cinavia), but to my knowledge, it will not play mkv's with HD audio either.

As far as HBO GO, I think the only devices that have the HBO GO app are the xbox 360, i-Pad, and some Samsung HDTV's.

Last edited by OneManShow; 07-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 PM
coolcat4843's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20
Default

Go with a Sony BD player.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Good luck , I am having already lots of friends there!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for new Blu ray player Biosynthnut Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 0 01-05-2011 09:29 PM
ESPN 3D, looking for ROI and not looking good... fitprod High Definition Smackdown 118 11-11-2010 08:22 PM
Canadian Looking for a great deal on a new HD DVD PLAYER(HD-A2) JBML007 General Discussion: Both Formats 6 08-30-2007 12:25 AM
Looking for Canadian price on HD DVD HD-A2 Player.......Mission to all HD DVD Addicts JBML007 HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 0 08-29-2007 01:38 AM
Looking for cheap Blu-ray Player redbawlz Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 8 03-27-2007 03:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off