Denon is Launching a Universal Blu-ray Player in July - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Denon is Launching a Universal Blu-ray Player in July

You'll be able to play back your SACD and DVD-Audio discs in addition to the Blu-rays and DVDs you'd expect.

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics...ew/708778.html
Old 06-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Apparently lacks audio circuitry since there's no multi-channel outputs. Looks like Oppo wins this time.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
Apparently lacks audio circuitry since there's no multi-channel outputs. Looks like Oppo wins this time.
Just because it lacks multi channel outputs doesn't mean Oppo automatically wins. Marjority of the bluray player owners use HDMI output for audio anyways. Since this Denon is a transport. I used to own their 2500BTCI which was a transport which the quality was excellent.
I'd love to see this unit compared to Oppo BDP-93 since the price is the same. It's very frustrating as a SACD and DVD Audio fan which these formats is not main stream which I have to pay dearly for typical out of print discs. I recently bought a used Depeche Mode Violator SACD which cost over $100...
Old 06-03-2012, 12:48 PM

The real "winner" depends upon the Denon's video performance...someone will soon do a "shootout" to let us know how it looks compared to the Oppo. It seems that since Denon left out any audio section, perhaps to create more margin to give dealers some mark-up room, the Oppo is more useful to more people (second hand). The other difference where I have actual experience, is in customer service. I used two Denon standard def upscaler decks...3910 & 5910...both good products in their day. Denon's customer service was virtually non-existent. Unanswered phones, people who did not know the gear etc. Oppo's customer service wins awards and is always so helpful to me personally. I will never use Denon again (life is full of choices) and I will default to Oppo anytime in the future. If you spend $500 up on electronic gear, you deserve a completely positive experience. For me, Oppo fills the bill.