Blu-ray Player Penetration Exceeds a Quarter of Homes - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-21-2012, 12:20 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Blu-ray Player Penetration Exceeds a Quarter of Homes

We're up to 26%, up significantly from last year.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu...aches-26-26721
Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM

Not suprising with some decent players at the $100 level and below, anyone with an HDTV doesn't have much excuse not to have a Blu Ray player anymore.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:38 PM

It is nice to see that despite all of the available crappy quality, but convenient, VOD options the average person is still somewhat interested in the quality of physical blu-ray media. Here in Canada, Blockbuster and Roger's Video are gone so purchasing is the only real option for media.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:49 PM

This is an interesting article I found referenced in a different forum mostly focused on DRM & specifically cinavia and the author's perspective that these anti-consumer "features" in blu-ray hold the format back.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5693/c...elfdestruction

Watch this audio/video presentation for another perspective on how the riaa and mpaa crunches numbers to justify their activities:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25193...cy_claims.html

Last edited by Rich86; 03-23-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 PM

It doesn't matter at all!
The PS3 is the "Trojan Horse" of High-Def Physical Media.

JJ
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Whore View Post
It doesn't matter at all!
The PS3 is the "Trojan Horse" of High-Def Physical Media.

JJ
I'm not sure what you are saying here of significance.
The PS3 is most assuredly the first major blu-ray player to inflict cinavia on blu-ray customers unannounced and required, but cinavia is now required on all blu-ray players first licensed as of February, 2012 - so the restrictive DRM forced upon blu-ray players potentially impacts everyone - and can easily negatively impact the acceptance and growth (or lack of) of the format - which is the point of the article.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 AM

$20 for a new Blu-ray to watch on a nice 1080p screen in my living room vs. $40 for a night out at the movies with crappy sound and over-priced food?

Yah, no surprise that Blu-ray is doing so well in my household.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaggas View Post
$20 for a new Blu-ray to watch on a nice 1080p screen in my living room vs. $40 for a night out at the movies with crappy sound and over-priced food?

Yah, no surprise that Blu-ray is doing so well in my household.
Indeed, and once you have a projector at home with a 100in or larger screen, the thought of going to movies becomes all the harder. The only theater I consider going to anymore is the Imax, only it can come close to matching my system.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I'm not sure what you are saying here of significance.
The PS3 is most assuredly the first major blu-ray player to inflict cinavia on blu-ray customers unannounced and required, but cinavia is now required on all blu-ray players first licensed as of February, 2012 - so the restrictive DRM forced upon blu-ray players potentially impacts everyone - and can easily negatively impact the acceptance and growth (or lack of) of the format - which is the point of the article.
I know you have been whining about Cinavia for a long time but I don't care and don't personally know anybody that cares. Other than negatively impacting defeating copy protection which is against the law in the US and as far as I know most other countries, I see no harm. It has absolutely never had any negative effect on anything I do and as far as I know, I use Blu-ray as much as just about anybody alive.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
I know you have been whining about Cinavia for a long time but I don't care and don't personally know anybody that cares. Other than negatively impacting defeating copy protection which is against the law in the US and as far as I know most other countries, I see no harm. It has absolutely never had any negative effect on anything I do and as far as I know, I use Blu-ray as much as just about anybody alive.
Yep - as long as you are only using your blu-ray player to play original store bought blu-rays, it probably isn't an issue. If you load your movies onto a server to play them via your player, or make backup copies for use elsewhere - and a cinavia infected device is in the mix when playing a cinavia infected title - the fun begins. The articles I pointed to were just outside editorial perspectives on DRM as it effects blu-ray acceptance and growth (or lack of) in the marketplace. I learned some things from them and thought to share them.
I personally value flexibility & portability in the use of my legitimately purchased and owned blu-ray titles and therefore intend to avoid having cinavia infected equipment anywhere - and limit greatly purchased cinavia infected titles.

Last edited by Rich86; 03-25-2012 at 06:37 PM.