Sony BDP-S185 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Cool Sony BDP-S185

Hello, everyone! I am finally venturing into the world of Blu-Ray after holding out all these years with my .
I am looking for a decent standard Blu-Ray player. I already have a Roku box, so I will NOT be using the blu-ray player for streaming. It will be used only for watching films. I've been digging around online for a cheaper no frills Blu-Ray and found the Sony BDP-S185 at a good price.
Will this cover my needs or do you have any other suggestions?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Get the PS3 pal! Sincerely the best blu ray player of the market!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:49 PM

I don't mean to be contrary with SilverCat, but although the PS3 was once considered to be the best blu-ray player on the market, those days are long gone. If you have an interest in a game system and/or media server, in addition to playing Blu-Rays, then I expect the PS3 is worth investigating. But if you want a bargain priced straight DVD/Blu-Ray player, the PS3 is not a very cost-effective alternative. There are some truly superb standalone blu-ray players out there if you want the very best and are willing to part with the cash to have it. I have multiple Sony standalone blu-ray players, and have been very happy with all of them. My primary player is a Sony BDP-S1000es and it has been superb.
It looks like the player you are considering has all the key capabilities you care about. However, there are some missing items, in case they matter to you:
1. no wi-fi - you must connect via a network wire either directly to your router, or via a bridge device to communicate wirelessly with your wireless router. BD-Live needs that internet connection to work. This player also seems to have significant internet access capabilities (if you care about that). Of course if you do not use a wireless router, then this doesn't matter and you must run an ethernet wire from the player to your router/modem anyway. Having an internet connection is also convenient when/if you update the firmware in the player.
2. no 3D - personally I have no interest in 3D, and do not have or want a TV that supports 3D, but some folks do, so you must decide.
3. no component video connections - this is an issue possibly depending on what TV you have. If your TV and/or home theater support HDMI, then I can't imagine why you would use component connections anyway. And it seems most newer players are dropping things like s-video and component connections anyway. If your system supports HDMI, it is definitely the best choice for use.

You might also take a look at the S480 & S580 before buying.
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegoryId=27898
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 PM

Thank you for your help!
I have my router in my living room, so no wireless is fine by me. I generally prefer wired connections anyway.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:34 AM

The PS3 its still one of the best BR player of the market Rich, I can hardly imagine a better option, but you can enlightme right?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:09 AM

Based upon what I have read about the PS3, I would agree it is "still one of the best BR players on the market" - but that's not what you said earlier.
And I expect you would agree that it doesn't qualify given the OP's original objective "for a cheaper no frills Blu-Ray".
Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM

try a lg BD670. It boots super fast and it play very good too. I have one for almost two years and don't have to update firmware yet
Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 AM

This may be a reason to avoid a new BDP-S185:
List of known devices and players that contain Cinavia protection
. Sony BDP-S185 / BDP-S186 (with firmware update version M09.R.0033+)[7]

You may want to do some reading on Cinavia infected player firmware and blu-rays to determine if you want such a device. Personally I avoid purchasing cinavia infected titles and equipment as much as possible.