Best budget blu-ray player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 AM

Default Best budget blu-ray player

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a blu-ray player to add to my living room, I've had a ps3 in my room for years that I'll occasionally take downstairs to watch a movie but moving it is a hassle and I somewhat recently got a 60" tv for free from a friend plus I've had a pretty nice Onkyo system that I feel like I'm wasting by not watching movies on it. I'm in college though and money's tight so I'm looking to keep it under $100, and closer to $50. I would want netflix, wireless isn't a must since my router is in the next room, about 5 feet from my a/v stand but I would want to it be slim because I don't have much room left on my shelves, I've tried putting my slim PS3 down there and it doesn't fit. The one that has caught my eye so far is the Panasonic DMP-BD75, which is selling for $60 on amazon, but it seems to have mixed reviews on their and it supposedly has freezing issues. So if anyone has experience with that player, what do you think and anyone else, do you have any recommendations that fit my description?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 AM

I also just saw Best Buy's Dynex player which is also $60 but includes wifi. It was apparently on sale for $40 on black friday so I may feel a bit salty buying it, but the wifi could be a plus if/when I move and my router isn't as close to my a/v stand.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:50 PM

I would recommend a reputable brand, either Sony, Panasonic or LG since all have been excellent for me. I don't have a current model but if you find the features you want at the price you want from any of those three, I think you will be happy. As I always note, don't buy Samsung, support and durability have been awful in my experience.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:40 PM

try Toshiba BDK21 in Best Buy / Frys for $79. It boots super super fast, even faster than DVD too
I brought mine in Costco for $59 only ($20 instant rebate)