Samsung's 2012 Blu-ray Player Flagships - One Compact and One Sporting HDMI Input - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Samsung's 2012 Blu-ray Player Flagships - One Compact and One Sporting HDMI Input

As you might expect, they also come packed with UltraViolet Disc to Digital for DVDs.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsR...news_seq=20088
Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
The Disc to Digital feature is a boon to consumers with a library of DVDs. They can now register their ownership of physical DVDs, and access the same movie content on a variety of devices, virtually anytime and anywhere—even from multiple locations at once. Once digital copies have been created and added to the consumer's UltraViolet collection, the content will be made available through the Flixster application on Samsung’s Smart Hub, as well as on a broad range of connected devices such as smart phones, tablet, PCs and Smart TVs. Consumers also have the option to purchase HD quality versions of these movies, and can share digital library content with other members under the same account.
This is actually a really cool idea- it sounds like the disc doesn't have to have included a digital copy, you just pop the disc in, it reads the info, and gives you the option to get an HD version. I wonder how much this will cost.

These players sound REALLY cool. If they sale for under $250, I may pick one up. I hope HDD will keep us updated on these.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Is this for real? regarding the upconvert to 1080p from any resolution.

does this mean we can all watch 24 seasons 1-6, tons of movies like true lies etc. in 1080p without having to wait years for them to be released on blu-ray? this is hard to believe..

in essence, this would basically be our own blu-ray machine, where we can 'blu-ray' up any movie just by inserting the dvd.

I'd pay any price for this, if it were true.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblove11 View Post

does this mean we can all watch 24 seasons 1-6, tons of movies like true lies etc. in 1080p without having to wait years for them to be released on blu-ray? this is hard to believe..

in essence, this would basically be our own blu-ray machine, where we can 'blu-ray' up any movie just by inserting the dvd.

I am sure that this would be anything that has been converted to HD already, but not necissarially released on Blu-Ray, stuff like Cheers, Seinfeild, Quantum Leap, and movies like Larwence of Arabia. I am sure that most stuff would be regular DVD upconverts
Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblove11 View Post

"Consumers also have the option to purchase HD quality versions of these movies."

Just owning the DVD does not automatically give you access to an HD streaming version of the movie. You'll have to buy it, subject to availability of the content in HD.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:20 PM

I know, I'm not concerned about Ultraviolet, streaming or all that--just the dvd upconverting quality. I read that dvd content would be upconverted to 1080p in the press release. however, many players that have been out on the market a while make that claim as well. dvd's still look crappy on my blu-ray player which upconverts as well, so I'm just curious as to how much better this new BD-Wise Plus feature would make the dvd picture..