Insignia NS-BRDVD4 Firmware Update Issues - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 PM

Default Insignia NS-BRDVD4 Firmware Update Issues

Over summer I was looking for a region-free Blu-ray player. The consensus on these forums was the Insignia NS-BRDVD4 was an easily modifiable player at an affordable price. I purchased a refurbished model through Amazon. I wanted to downgrade to the original firmware in order to play DVDs/Blu-rays region-free. I downloaded the ISO: "20101015_NSBRDVD4_BBY_B083_022_21"

I had a 4 GB Memorex Zip Drive. I formatted it on a Mac in disk utility to be FAT32. I downloaded the .iso and dragged and dropped it onto the drive on the desktop. That didn't work. So I tried again with a 1 GB drive. Also didn't work. So I re-formatted the drives and tried by downloading the file directly to the drive. Again, didn't work. I'm getting an error code 12000. I called Insignia and tech support stated it meant either the .iso file is corrupted or the drive improperly formatted. Well, I used disk utility to format the drive so I don't think that's the problem. I also tried downloading the more recent June 2011 and December 2011 updates to see if it was a corruption of the .iso, but both files on either the 4gb or 1gb drive still prompted a 12000 error code.

I am at a loss. I already had a Blu-ray player - the point in getting the Insignia was to play my collection of foreign animation films.

Has anyone else had problems installing the update? Is there something I was supposed to do with the .iso file? Could I be formatting the zip drive wrong? Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Not to direct you away to another site, but this thread at blu-ray.com really has the best info on the Insignia region changeable players, with links to FW. The consensus is that you need to use a Windows PC to download the files to a USB drive as the files are formatted for FAT and Macs just don't do FAT correctly.

It's worth the hassle, I got the NS-BRDVD4 some time ago and it's fantastic for the price.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 AM

Okay! I will give that a try. Thanks so much. Hope it works. I got a little over-excited this winter break (I am in college) and spent all my Christmas money on importing French, South Korean and Hungarian animated films both on DVD and Blu-ray. I was really bummed at the prospect of these not working because my player was buggy!