Pioneer Launches a Portable External BD/DVD/CD Burner with BDXL Capabilities - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Pioneer Launches a Portable External BD/DVD/CD Burner with BDXL Capabilities

The company boasts that it's the most compact and lightest BDXL burner on the market today.

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics...ew/700824.html
Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 PM

Pioneer is the leader in its class, so it's nice to see them coming out with cutting-edge portable BD burners. Though it'll probably cost an arm and a leg initially, eventually prices will become more reasonable once BD-R and BDXL catches on.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:05 PM

You know, it amazes me that the price of media is still as high as it is. I bought a Blu-Ray burner about 3 years ago, yet I hardly ever burn Blu-Rays. BDXL discs seems to run around $80-$90 a disc, IF YOU CAN FIND THEM! I belive last time I bought a spindle of BD-R single layers, I paid $40 for 10 discs. I just do not get why these things are not coming down in price! Its cheaper now to buy Hard Drives than blank discs!

What is worse is actually trying to burn something that meets the Blu-Ray disc specs. They are hidiously difficult. I finally gave in and just started burning in AVCHD, and, if my event is under, say, 30 minutes long, I will just burn it to a regular DVD.

Main reason I wanted BDXL was for backup storage, but I finally just gave in and paid the $5 a month to my ISP for cloud-based storage backup for unlimited storage (pity that the uploads are so slow, thinking about complaining to my ISP about that, I have 4 meg up, there is no reason it should take a minute to upload a single JPEG, and a day to upload 2 gig of videos). Anyways, unless the price of media comes way down, and soon, I don't see BDXL taking off at all.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM

Agree. In order for the hardware (burner) to take off, the software (blank media) needs to be available at an affordable price point. This will help offset the effort required to burn a proper disc, as well as the occasional coaster.

Further, it seems that the USofA has always lagged other countries when it comes to early adoption of consumer electronics. E.g., Blu-ray recorders are considered mainstream appliances in Japan. I suspect that's where the push for BDXL comes from. On the bright side, once/if it is accepted here, the technology should be mature enough that we're past the first or second generations.