Blu-ray Players a "Phenomenal Success" for Sony on Black Friday - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-30-2011, 03:57 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Blu-ray Players a "Phenomenal Success" for Sony on Black Friday

The company did quite well over all, with increased sales despite not having huge discounts.

http://www.twice.com/article/477289-...erformance.php
Old 12-01-2011, 01:27 PM

Just an FYI, Mr. Molyneux is CEO of Sony Electronics, not Sony. The HDD condensed article only cites "Sony" and then lists him as the CEO. The CEO of Sony Corporation is of course still Howard Stringer.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:26 PM

Too bad in a short time Sony will stop supporting those players with firmware making newer bluray discs unwatchable like happened to my lessd than threee year old BDP-S350. Cannot watch any newer movies on it and Sony suppport is a joke. Will never purchase a Sony product again.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlok16 View Post
Too bad in a short time Sony will stop supporting those players with firmware making newer bluray discs unwatchable like happened to my lessd than threee year old BDP-S350. Cannot watch any newer movies on it and Sony suppport is a joke. Will never purchase a Sony product again.
Can you tell us which titles specifically you are having trouble with & where each one fails?
I have a Sony S350, S550 & S1000ES, all of which have been superb performers and played everything I've thrown at them just fine (new & old). I'd be happy to test a title that fails on your player if you mention one I have.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
IMHO this is an industry-wide problem with Blu-ray, and switching to another brand will not guarantee title-compatibility updates for life. Ironically, probably the "safest" player for future updates is a Sony product, the PS3.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I have that player connected now and have never loaded a Blu-ray disc it won't play. Give me an example of a newer Blu-ray disc it won't play.

As far as phenomenal success, I think profit margins are so slim, big sales numbers mean little. My personal opinion is that Sony makes great Blu-ray players at good prices but can't be making much money.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
IMHO this is an industry-wide problem with Blu-ray, and switching to another brand will not guarantee title-compatibility updates for life. Ironically, probably the "safest" player for future updates is a Sony product, the PS3.
I have several brands and only Samsung players have had problems for me but I do agree the PS3 has been a safe bet. My 2007 PS3 still works great although it has only seen very light use since I have several other players connected.