Why does bluray not looks as good at home - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-19-2011, 08:54 PM

Default Why does bluray not looks as good at home

When watching bluray movies I don't see the fine picture of bluray quality unless I am near the tv. What I mean is the film looks nice at a distance from where I sit like 18 ft away, however It looks better the closer I get. By this I mean the bluray hd detail is better close up. Also at showrooms you can see the fine detail of bluray video and at home I dont see it all that well. I have the player connected via hdmi to a plasma tv. Any ideas as to why it looks better at the stores than home?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

1. Don't sit at 18 feet from a Plasma HDTV.
{A 60" Class you can sit as close as 6.5 feet* from it, but 8-9 feet is good; 10 feet at the very max.}
* => Three (3) times the screen height from a 1080p HDTV set.

2. A Plasma HDTV looks much better once properly video calibrated.

3. In the stores they turn the dynamic contrast and brightness way up there, just to 'attract' customers.
Because of all the lights present in the stores. So they have to.
But at home you need to adjust your eyes to a correct light ambiance with the proper contrast and brightness. ...Like in a Cinema Theater.

4. What is your plasma make and model number (plus screen size)?

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 11-20-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: stypo
Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 AM

Panasonic tc p50s1 it is 50 inch tv
Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 AM

Yes my friend. You're sitting WAAAY too far back to get the full benefit of high definition with a 50" screen. The distances Lord gave are pretty much in the ball park of where you should be sitting. It's amazing the difference a few feet make in how an HD picture appears.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 AM

I'm just going to agree with the above poster.

You didn't buy the right size TV for your viewing distance, and at 18' you should really be well above a 100" screen for day-to-day comfortable viewing. If you really are set at a 18' viewing distance, which is ridiculous, and you do daytime viewing, then the cheapest and brightest TV for you is the 80" Sharp LCD. Mitsubishi also has some rear projection models which are in the same size range.

I'm not sure how you decided that 50" would be appropriate, but one of the top suggestions for looking at TVs in a store is to stand the SAME distance away from the TV that you do at home and view it that way.

Also, the S1 is pretty much the entry level Panasonic. No creative frame interpolation, so you don't get that stupid looking soap oprah effect that people find so great looking for about five minutes, then they realize it makes everything look like a cartoon.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM

Actually i had said 18 inches without measuring. Now that i measured the tv is 13 inches from the couch. Is that still too far?
Old 11-20-2011, 01:25 PM

Actually, that's damn close! Your Ideal (recommended) viewing distance is about 5.5 ft. Max is 7.8. (I'm using a viewing distance calculator)

PS: What AV Intergrated said is SO TRUE! Frame interpolation (Motion Flow on Sony's) is a novelty at best. I may engage it merely to see what the image looks like, but after about (wow!) 5 minutes, I'm done!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Panasonic tc p50s1 it is 50 inch tv
You can sit six feet* (even a bit less) from your Panny 1080p plasma 50" screen.
{But 8 feet is very good.}

* Three (3) times the screen height. ...And four times is very good.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Actually i had said 18 inches without measuring. Now that i measured the tv is 13 inches from the couch. Is that still too far?
13 inches is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too close!

Seriously though, 13 feet is still way too far! I recommend 8 feet if you are mostly watching High Def pictures, like Blu-rays and HD Cable box or HD Satellite TV.

But if you're watching DVDs and Standard TV, then 10 feet max is fine.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:44 PM

Haha I meant feet not inches