Recommend me a Blu-Ray player in the $100-$200 range please. Mine Died - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Default Recommend me a Blu-Ray player in the $100-$200 range please. Mine Died

The Blu-Ray player for my 50" Plasma died last night. Won't read Blu-Rays no matter what disc I put inside of it, but will still stream NETFLIX, and read DVD's and DVDrs, so, I am looking for a new unit int he price range listed above, that will list longer than 13 months.

Thanks

Gary
Old 07-19-2011, 05:15 PM

Ended up getting an LG BD640, seems fine. At least I am not hurting to watch Blu_Rays right now.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 PM

It's high but pretty much nothing beats the Oppo. With a mod it's region free, never fails to play a Blu Ray, so far plays any weird PC video format I've thrown at it, streams Netflix, Blockbuster and now Vudu with the new FW update. For next time anyway.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
Ended up getting an LG BD640, seems fine. At least I am not hurting to watch Blu_Rays right now.
I don't have a current LG Blu-ray player but I do have two LG players connected now and have for years. My BD300 and BH200 have been good and from what I have read the current players are solid. Samsung players have been terrible for me but I can recommend LG.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
It's high but pretty much nothing beats the Oppo. With a mod it's region free, never fails to play a Blu Ray, so far plays any weird PC video format I've thrown at it, streams Netflix, Blockbuster and now Vudu with the new FW update. For next time anyway.
When my fundage is a little higher, maybe towards year end or tax refund time 2012, I will grab an oppo. I just needed something to get me by for now. Having no BR playback on my TV for a week sucked ass.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
I don't have a current LG Blu-ray player but I do have two LG players connected now and have for years. My BD300 and BH200 have been good and from what I have read the current players are solid. Samsung players have been terrible for me but I can recommend LG.
So far I have had it almost a week and it has been kicking ass and taking names, and mine came with the wifi dongle int he box so I am happy.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
I'm thinking of going Oppo myself. I've bought two affordable Panasonics (BD60 & BD65) and both have had issues. The BD60 quit working and had to have the drive replaced (under warranty). The BD65 is a month or two out of warranty, and my LAN port seems to have failed. To fix it, I'd have to send it into Panasonic at my own expense. So, I have the BD60 hooked up now; but it does not get Netflix.

I'm thinking of saving the $ it would take to fix the BD65 and put them toward an Oppo BDP93. I could then buy one of the region mods and pull the Insignia out of the rack (I need the room).

The savings on the Panasonic players have proved to be illusory when you look at the longevity (or lack thereof).
Old 08-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Funny you should mention that, I just bought the el cheapo Panasonic T110 BD player on sale for $100. I was curious about the 2D to 3D conversion, plus the free copy of 3D Avatar. The 3D conversion is interesting, works on some material. But the player itself is the smallest I've ever seen, everything about it screams "cheap" lol.

Ya just can't beat the Oppo for build quality and versatility. I've got the region free mod, works like a charm(just got JC's Vampires and Judge Dredd from France!).
Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM

Which mod for the Oppo did you get? There are a couple that have to be installed inside the player, and one (I think) that simply connects to a USB port.

If I get the Oppo, I can also pull out my SACD and DVD-A players.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM

I didn't want to tie up the USB port so I got the cheaper model that is installed inside the player. There are a couple of extra steps involved but it works perfectly.