PS3 Bluray Drive/Geek Squad Warranty - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-13-2011, 02:54 PM

Default PS3 Bluray Drive/Geek Squad Warranty

My PS3 stopped reading bluray, I have a warranty through geek squad. Has anyone had a PS3 serviced through them? If so, what was your experience like..
Old 07-16-2011, 09:49 AM

So I received my refurbished ps3 from geek squad. Right out of the box, the system didn't even work. I had to go back to best buy same day and let them know how unhappy I was. I tried to get a replacement but geek squad turned me down. Just to let people know, never go to geek squad for any type of warranties.. I did recieve my ps3 within 3 days but the service was horrible and there is a huge lack in product knowledge with the geek squad employees..
Old 07-16-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodified View Post
So I received my refurbished ps3 from geek squad. Right out of the box, the system didn't even work. I had to go back to best buy same day and let them know how unhappy I was. I tried to get a replacement but geek squad turned me down. Just to let people know, never go to geek squad for any type of warranties.. I did recieve my ps3 within 3 days but the service was horrible and there is a huge lack in product knowledge with the geek squad employees..
Ouch, I've never used geek squad.

My cousin had a fat 40 gb ps3 with backward compatibility still in it and when it got the ylod, got a slim ps3...he was pissed.

Anyhow, my 60gb ps3 has been working for 4 years now and I have like 500 dollars worth of singstar stuff on it (300 songs), these are DRMED to the machine and apparently a big big pain to get transferred to a new machine if your machine goes down.

I'm been concerned about how I am going to handle it when the PS3 finally fails. I have cleaned the dust out of religiously with the vacuum method every few months, but now the high speed fan whir occurs ALL the time, so I think the cpu paste is dried and cracked and probably has bad conduction, so it's a matter of time before it goes...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
Ouch, I've never used geek squad.

My cousin had a fat 40 gb ps3 with backward compatibility still in it and when it got the ylod, got a slim ps3...he was pissed.

Anyhow, my 60gb ps3 has been working for 4 years now and I have like 500 dollars worth of singstar stuff on it (300 songs), these are DRMED to the machine and apparently a big big pain to get transferred to a new machine if your machine goes down.

I'm been concerned about how I am going to handle it when the PS3 finally fails. I have cleaned the dust out of religiously with the vacuum method every few months, but now the high speed fan whir occurs ALL the time, so I think the cpu paste is dried and cracked and probably has bad conduction, so it's a matter of time before it goes...
Do you plan on getting a new one or, sending it off to Sony for repair?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodified View Post
Do you plan on getting a new one or, sending it off to Sony for repair?
Well, I think I will send it off to sony if they can guarentee I get a 60 gb fat back. Otherwise, might look for local repair if at all possible. Since it's out of waranty I don't really have much to gain from getting Sony service, unless I have no one competent in my area.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Well, I think I will send it off to sony if they can guarentee I get a 60 gb fat back. Otherwise, might look for local repair if at all possible. Since it's out of waranty I don't really have much to gain from getting Sony service, unless I have no one competent in my area.
My 80gb with BC JUST crapped out on me yesterday, so I'm familiar with sony's service and have some bad news. Before you send in your console they give you a list of things to do. 1) Deactivate your system from playing games & Movies. 2) Delete ALL sensitive material. 3) Remove all Playstation network accounts. 4) Format the Hard drive I'm lucky enough that I don't game on my ps3 much. (Only own 10 games) so It was easy to transfer all of my save files to my 8gb flash drive. I'll just re-download the games I've purchased via account management when I get my new system back as well, however it doesn't look good for you.

There may be hope however... I've heard that using the System backup option allows you to transfer ALL files to an external hdd and then restore them onto a new HDD. Meaning, before you formatted if you purchased a 60gb or larger HDD you should be able to save all of your files on that and then transfer them to a new HDD. This is pretty standard for upgrading the Hdd's so it should save your files, though will likely cost you more money if you don't already own an external HDD.

As for my own system... I probably could have waited longer to send mine in. On Friday night while watching videodrome my system froze up for the first time with 5 minutes left in the movie. After rebooting and removing the disk it continued to freeze up after a few minutes of playtime. (I finished the movie on my laptop). The next day I tried watching the Incredibles with my wife. It again froze after 25-40 minutes of play (Enough time for the unit to get hot). After those instances I had enough. I didn't bother checking it against dvd's or ps3 games since I primarily use my unit for BD movies. I immediately went onto Sony's webpage (which is ridiculously confusing btw) and filed a service request. Total cost was $139 shipped round trip. I now have to wait 3-5 Business days to get my prepaid shipping box from sony, and then I have a 7-10 wait for the unit to be fixed. I'll update my experience as things progress.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 AM

Careful, the "transfer" doesn't always work. I would back up anything you like to keep, and test it out first. Make sure you can retrieve it. Then, do the "HDD backup transfer."

Delete game data/cache. It's pointless for backups, and it'll save space/time. It's not important material, as it'll be recreated upon rebooting of the game. So, delete away. Remember, the game data is pointless space...not the save files. Also, anything you can redownload would be wise to remove; i.e Games, PSN stuff, videos...etc.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 AM

The hard drive back-up is pointless if Sony doesn't repair and return your original unit. It sucks how the hard drive is tied to the system so you can't just swap them out.

When my 80 gig with ps2 BC died, I had some copy protected games saves that can't be saved on an external drive. I used playstation plus (I was lucky it was during the free trial) to upload the game saves to the cloud storage, so I got everything back when Sony sent me back a different unit.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM

Did you get another 80gb model or did they send you something different?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
if it's out of warranty just open it up and replace the thermal paste should take you around 25 minutes in total.