Blu-Ray Playback Comes To OS X - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 AM

Default Blu-Ray Playback Comes To OS X

but not from Apple.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...comes-to-os-x/
Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM

Default BD playback has been available for free on Mac since 2009

It's crapware. Reviews are terrible. They've taken existing free software and made it to look like their own, not improved it at all, and are charging money for it.

BD playback has been available on Mac since 2009. If you want to play a BD on OS X, use MakeMKV to open the disc and select the stream option. Open the stream link in VLC. These tools are currently free and work well. I can provide step-by-step if you need it.

Both tools are available on Windows and Linux, so I assume they'd work there too.

Of course Windows has PowerDVD and Total Media Theater, but those are commercial packages that charge money.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM

A mac owner has to connect to the Internet to pass the AACS key to Macgo. Sounds suspiciously like some of the DRM removers that have the same requirement. Not sure how legit it is.

The comments in the link source are quite a laugh, the usual nonsense that the iTune HD is just as good as BD because Jobs told them so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
BD playback has been available on Mac since 2009. If you want to play a BD on OS X, use MakeMKV to open the disc and select the stream option. Open the stream link in VLC. These tools are currently free and work well. I can provide step-by-step if you need it.

Both tools are available on Windows and Linux, so I assume they'd work there too.
That's a hassle way of doing it. A lot of effort when a person can just get a BD player or if they really want to run it on a computer just dual-boot with Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Of course Windows has PowerDVD and Total Media Theater, but those are commercial packages that charge money.
Some manufacters like Sony supply a (limited) BD playing software with their computer systems. It's also almost the only software Sony does updates for.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
That's a hassle way of doing it. A lot of effort when a person can just get a BD player or if they really want to run it on a computer just dual-boot with Windows.
I agree, a $50 player solves the problem, but maybe they want to watch on computer. For example when I was in college I had no room for a TV but I did have a computer.

I would argue that starting two applications isn't more of a hassle than closing all of your applications, rebooting into Windows, and running a BD player there.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM

I have a Mac book pro but not clear for me how to run BD in my Mac.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 AM

Smile Recommend BR Drive for Blu-ray Playback on My Mini

Hi Guys,I just bought Macgo Blu-ray Player for my mini. I have viewed their how-to guide
I have to equip a BR drive for it. Which external BR Player for mac recommended?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Banned

As far as I know, an external Blu-ray drive are essential for playback Blu-ray disc on Mac. As Apple never had it computer with a BTO BD drive. But there are also some crazy guy transform their computer into a Blu-ray compatible one.
Refers to a tutorial from YouTube for Macbook transform and Blu-ray playback.
Code:
watch?v=yXCQWh1Y4BM
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnbakerr View Post
Hi Guys,I just bought Macgo Blu-ray Player for my mini. I have viewed their how-to guide
I have to equip a BR drive for it. Which external BR Player for mac recommended?
I use a $40 Sony USB I got off eBay. OWC has a few, LG makes one that BB carries for about $75, etc..... In a nutshell, just about any USB/FW BD-ROM drive will work. If u want a BD-RW, stick with the FW800 ones at OWC (Macsales.com). The constant data transfer rate is better for hi-speed BD burning, but if u are just playing back video or ripping, it's not worth the extra cost.