Blu-ray Player Sales Still on the Rise - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Blu-ray Player Sales Still on the Rise

Sales are up, but 57 percent of people say that they're still using a standard DVD player.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu...es-up-16-24158
Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM

as i always say, i honestly believe DVD will always be around. the two formats are pretty much identical tech wise so the "average joe" sees no need to switch up despite the jump in video/audio quality and is perfectly happy to stay. had blu-ray been a completely different type of tech the way DVD was to VHS, i think it would be doing much better today.

but its all good, long as blu-ray isnt fading and sticks around too then i'm happy. :P
Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM

A lot of people are buying blu-ray players but mainly for watching...Netflix.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanFreek View Post
A lot of people are buying blu-ray players but mainly for watching...Netflix.
I dont believe this to be correct. Another forum member recently had this to say about that:
Quote:
I know that's been the mantra of certain folks around here, but didn't we have those streaming stats recently that showed ~70% of streaming was viewed on game consoles, and the remaining ~30% split evenly between PCs, and TVs/BD players/streaming boxes?
If this is correct then very few percentage are using BD players for streaming and game consoles rule the roost when it comes to streaming appliances. If you just wanted a box to stream wouldnt you just get something like a Western Digital or Roku?
Old 06-12-2011, 11:37 AM

There are advantages to professionally prepared discs. First is the fact that such a disc is relatively stable. I have had only one DVD fail in years of buying them and to my knowledge have never had a CD go bad on me despite my first CDs being purchased back in the 1980s (granted, I haven't checked out most of those lately).

In contrast, maintaining downloaded files purchased off a site like iTunes requires a lot more diligence. Hard drives fail. DVDs recorded on home equipment last only for a short time.

The quality of downloaded files is decent enough but let's face it, it's not on a par with blu-ray and never will be. For casual consumption, no problem, but if you're serious about acquiring a high-grade copy of a movie for permanent ownership, professionally prepared physical media is still the way to go.

There is, also, something to be said for a collection that has an obvious physical element to it. Somehow, having an extensive collection of movies stored on a hard drive just doesn't have the same appeal as having a collection of movies gathered on physical media that offers, for some, an appealing visual impact.

I like the fact that when I buy a blu-ray of a great title, 10 years from now I should be able to pick up that disc, drop it into a blu-ray player and watch a perfectly preserved version of that movie. Even if blu-ray is replaced as the physical media standard, no doubt machines will be backwards compatible, just as all of today's blu-ray players have no problem working with DVDs. A downloaded digital file is a much messier bit of data to deal with.

And then there's price. It costs considerably more to buy an inferior downloaded file that is much higher maintenance than to pick up a blu-ray, if you have the patience to wait for good deals. I happen to work in retail so for me acquiring blu-rays for great prices is rather easy. My average cost per disc has been well below $20 and I know that if I'm willing to wait, I'll never have to pay $20+ for any title. Here in Canada, basically for what I would pay for a standard-def version of a movie on a service like iTunes, I can have the blu-ray instead. Unless services like iTunes significantly lower the cost of high-dev files, blu-ray will have a clear advantage.

Maybe the younger consumers among us are not into physical media but there are an awful lot of us Baby Boomers around and we're the ones with more disposable income and an inclination to collect legacy movie titles. Those who think physical media is finished are operating on the false premise that the average consumer with plenty of disposable income is 35 or younger.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 AM

I am glad blu-ray is doing so well. Hopefully the price keeps coming down on players and disks. I only buy them when they around $10 or $12 dollars. I would never pay full price.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerr View Post
I am glad blu-ray is doing so well. Hopefully the price keeps coming down on players and disks. I only buy them when they around $10 or $12 dollars. I would never pay full price.

The point is that with blu-rays good deals do happen frequently now whereas on the digital download front, the price is kept consistently high. Why so many are significantly overpaying for technically inferior files is a mystery.