Help with LG BD530 Blu Ray player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-20-2011, 09:43 AM

Help with LG BD530 Blu Ray player

I recently purchased an LG BD530 Blu Ray player. The picture quality is pretty good and I'm overall pleased with the product but there is one thing that bugs me. The picture is kindof grainy at times. I was wondering if there were a way to fix this or if it is normal since I'm new to Blu Ray. I bough the movie Public Enemies and the picture is really grainy in that movie. I'm wondering if it is just how the movie is filmed. Please help!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 AM

Indeed not all movies will look like a slick modern day digital presentation and will feature some of that natural film grain that most will either love or hate. But perhaps you just might need to calibrate your TV's picture settings? If you have it on torch mode; vivid, dynamic, etc... would recommend switching over to a movie picture setting, if that's unavailable on your TV, try lowering the brightness and or contrast to your liking to see if that helps.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnecniv View Post
would recommend switching over to a movie picture setting, if that's unavailable on your TV, try lowering the brightness and or contrast to your liking to see if that helps.
What he said.
(Oh, good luck with the player. I have had TWO BD570 players, both suffer the same failure mode. I used it twice a week, after about 4 months it started having problems with reading discs. Eventually, every movie I tried the playback would freeze up at least once during the movie. They also have problems with newer Disney movies. See the 24fps bug listed elsewhere.)
Most people have their tv settings a certain way, often times default tv settings. What looks good for one format looks horrible for another. There are common myths about tv settings that actually are quite the opposite. If you have a newer set you can cruise on over to tweaktv.com and see if they have settings for your set.

Brightness does not control brightness, it controls how light the Black levels are. Using a sloppy eye, I used to look at how black the letterbox bars were compared to the black levels of the movie, setting it so they blended well.

Contrast controls White levels, this by definition is brightness. Often times a daylight scene of a movie, set this so that you can see the details on a person's face but not too high.

More sharpness means LESS detail, it will blend the picture more. It's how you zero out the artifacts often associated with crap tv service like Directv

Even on older tvs you have a "custom" settings recall. On newer tvs they remember custom settings for each input mode.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned

If you want a 'pretty' movie, go buy a animated title like Toy Story.