OPPO BDP-93 & OPPO BDP-83 review links that talk about the quality 24fps DVD feature - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Banned

Default OPPO BDP-93 & OPPO BDP-83 review links that talk about the quality 24fps DVD feature

OPPO BDP-93 and OPPO BDP-83 review links that mentions the importance of having a 24fps DVD feature

Quote from Home Theater magazines review of the OPPO BDP-83:

ďI dusted off the few DVDs I have left in my collection, and it proved to be a pretty painless endeavor. The BDP-83ís upconversion is second to none. While the overall quality of DVD is still a distant second to Blu-ray, I was surprised by how good this player made DVDs look. I let the Oppo convert my DVDs to 1080p/24 for playback, and it didnít have any issues with tearing or frame drops. A few other manufacturers offer 24p support for DVDs, but I sometimes noticed occasional frame drops with some material. The Oppoís DVDO processing didnít seem to have the same issue with the titles I tested. If you still watch a lot of DVDs, this alone makes the Oppo a worthwhile investment.Ē

http://www.hometheater.com/content/oppo-bdp-83-universal-blu-ray-player-page-4

Quote from an OPPO BDP-93 review:

ďUnlike a few other players on the market (notably those from Panasonic, and even OPPO's earlier players), the BDP-93 does not support 24p (24 frames/second) output from DVDs. This feature is useful if you want to be able to view DVDs, sourced from 24 fps film content, on a TV that supports a native 24p mode. This capability helps to preserve that film-specific look to motion without introducing motion artifacts. One could argue that DVDs are not a native 24p format (encoded on the disc at 60 frames/second interlaced) and that is true, but few TVs have the ability to decode the underlying 24p content properly for a 60i input signal and display that content in a native 24p mode. Normally this content is displayed at a multiple of 60 Hz, which means you get some judder (uneven motion). So it would be helpful if the player had good 3:2 cadence detection and decoding on-board so it could output 24p content from DVD at 24 frames/second.Ē

ďThe QDEO processor actually has the ability to do this, but OPPO says that they felt that enabling the 24p output from DVDs on this particular chipset would have produced inferior results. So that feature is disabled. Really the solution here -- if you find yourself bothered by judder on film-based DVDs -- is to set the player to its "Source Direct" mode, send the DVD output to your processor or TV at 480i/60 and rely on one of these devices to correctly perform the 3:2 cadence detection and correction. Of course, Blu-rays are supported at 1080/24p output since this is a native encoding option of the format. Also, few competitive models offer this feature so it's not a major slam, but it is worth pointing out since it is a departure from the earlier OPPO Blu-ray players.Ē

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Oppo-BDP-93-Review-3D.shtml
Old 04-16-2011, 08:59 AM

Seems an ironic and disappointing departure from their long-standing advanced support of the standard dvd, the only format in which much content is and will continue to be available.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:33 AM

I have both players and can't decide on my own which I prefer for DVD-V and will rely on independent objective reviews for that analysis. I am undecided on whether or not 24fps is important for DVD-V but it would be nice to have it and then not use it if it isn't an improvement. I have not noted the DVD-A first few note truncation problem for some DVD-As with the BDP-93 so it appears that MediaTek has fixed that issue with the new chip. I didn't notice it with the BDP-83 and had to be told it existed so I might not be a good person to ask if that potential issue is important. It is also worth noting that I haven't seen anybody else mention observing the problem with the BDP-93 so I am hopeful it is a thing of the past.

Included Wi-Fi and FLAC support are two improvements for me. I don't have any FLAC files yet but now that I have a player, that is something I will want. I don't have Netflix or 3D so that isn't something that mattered to me. I have Netflix on other devices including TiVo so it probably won't ever matter even if I do subscribe at some point.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 AM

^Indeed...and I know of no other player that supports playback of multichannel FLACs (meaning DVD-A backups can now be played bit-for-bit identically).
Old 04-17-2011, 06:24 PM

Alright, multichannel FLAC, how do I do that, if it isn't too much trouble to ask? Can I write it to a disc or just use the USB input? Any free software to write the files?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:23 AM

The USB input is sufficient (disc probably works, I have not tried). Give this guide a try: http://groups.google.com/group/surro...-to-flac?pli=1
Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned

The new DVD 24p Conversion feature on the OPPO BDP-93/95 is excellent at converting film based DVDís to 1080p/24

On July 31st 2012 OPPO Digital INC released a Public BETA firmware update that offers the DVD 24p Conversion feature (Installation Instructions and Download Link: Click Here). An official release should be coming sometime in the future that will allow consumers to download the firmware directly to their Internet connected OPPO BDP-93/95 Blu-ray player.

Back in late 2010 when the OPPO BDP-93 was introduced some people were disappointed that the OPPO BDP-93 did not offer the DVD 24p Conversion feature. I emailed OPPO Digital INC back in 2010 and they informed me that they had no plans on offering the 24p DVD feature. Back in late 2010 the 24p DVD feature was a standard feature found on all modern Panasonic and Sony Blu-ray players. I heard from some consumers that they decided to keep their old OPPO BDP-83 that offered the 24p DVD feature instead of upgrading to the OPPO BDP-93.

So back in 2010 when I upgraded my OPPO BDP-83 to the OPPO BDP-93 I gained the ability to do video streaming, ability to play Blu-ray 3-D movies when connected to a 3-D display, a E-SATA II interface, two HDMI 1.4a outputs, no fans for low noise operation, and other features not found on the old OPPO BDP-83. However, what I lost was the ability of my Blu-ray player to convert film based DVDís to 1080p/24. Instead the OPPO BDP-93 would upconvert all film based DVDís to 1080P at 60Hz with 3:2 pulldown judder.

The work around was to place my OPPO BDP-93 in the source direct mode so that all DVDís would be outputted at their native resolution of 480i. This allowed my Pioneer Elite Signature series monitor when in the advance mode to do a reverse 3:2 pulldown for film based 480i DVDís and upconvert the image on the screen at 1080P at 72HZ. Of course not everyone owns a display that does a reverse 3:2 pulldown for film based sources and having the 24p DVD feature in the Blu-ray player is ideal for some HD displays that lack the ability to do a reverse 3:2 pulldown.

OPPO Digital recently surprised many videophiles when their latest firmware update now offers the DVD 24p Conversion feature for the OPPO BDP-93/95 Blu-ray players

HDMI-2 cannot be used with the DVD 24p Conversion feature. The HDMI-2 and the 1080i component video output uses a custom made Mediatec decoder which is not as good as quality when compared to the Qdeo by Marvell solution found on the HDMI-1 port. So HDMI-1 needs to be used with the DVD 24p Conversion feature (HDMI-1 also offers the best video upconversion).

When I turned on the DVD 24p Conversion feature and switched off the source direct mode, this allowed the OPPO BDP-93 to upconvert film based DVDís to 1080p/24 by performing a reverse 3:2 pulldown (video based DVDís are still upconverted to 1080p/60 like they should be).

The Qdeo 24p DVD feature looked outstanding on the OPPO BDP-93 for the film based 480i DVDís I played. I did not have any issues with frame drops or tearing. My Pioneer monitor received the 1080p/24 upscaling signal from the OPPO BDP-93 and displayed the image on the screen at 72Hz. The film based DVDís I tried had naturally smooth camera pans without any noticeable 3:2 pulldown judder.

Now there is no advantage to owning the old OPPO BDP-83 as far as I am aware. The DVD 24p Conversion feature is very high quality on the OPPO BDP-93. Plus the OPPO BDP-93 offers streaming features, Blu-ray 3-D support, E-SATA II interface, two HDMI 1.4a outputs, no fans for low noise operation, and other features not found on the old OPPO BDP-83.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 08-06-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Banned

On August 14th 2012, the official release firmware update BDP9x-71-0723 which adds the nice 24P DVD conversion feature is available for direct download for those that own a OPPO BDP-93/95 that is connected to the internet.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/bdp9x-firmware-71-0723.aspx