OPPO BDP-93 3-D Blu-ray player (Home Theater magazine May 2011 review) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 AM
Banned

Default OPPO BDP-93 3-D Blu-ray player (Home Theater magazine May 2011 review)

OPPO BDP-93 3-D Blu-ray player (Home Theater magazine May 2011 review)

(pages 62-64):

The OPPO BDP-93 is $499 and includes the RS-232 interface (The discontinued OPPO BDP-83 with RS-232 option cost $588). The new OPPO BDP-93 and the discontinued OPPO BDP-83 are both excellent Blu-ray players. According to the May 2011 Home Theater magazine review the OPPO BDP-93 has an excellent video scalar since all the video tests passed. These means the DVD upconversion is comparable to the old OPPO BDP-83 DVD upconversion with video based DVD’s. The OPPO BDP-83 offers the 24fps DVD feature that upconverts film based DVD’s to 1080p/24. What is disappointing about the OPPO BDP-93 is that it lacks the 24fps DVD feature that is found on Panasonic Blu-ray players, Sony Blu-ray players, and the old OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player. So the old discontinued OPPO BDP-83 will do a little bit better job when upconverting film based 480i DVD’s to 1080P since it has the 24fps DVD feature. To play film based DVD’s at multiplies of the original frame rate one needs to place the OPPO BDP-93 on source direct so that DVD’s are outputted at 480i, then if one owns a display like a Pioneer plasma that does a reverse 3-2 pulldown (also called 2:3 pulldown) the display will upconvert the 480i DVD to 1080P at multiplies of 24. Both the OPPO BDP-93 and BDP-83 have the same quality when playing back 2-D 1080p/24 Blu-ray discs.

The OPPO BDP-93 could be improved if a 24fps DVD feature menu selection was added and more streaming features were added. A Panasonic Blu-ray player for under $100 offers 10 times the amount of streaming features compared to the OPPO BDP-93 streaming selection. The OPPO BDP-93 has 2GB of built in flash storage (1GB reserved for BD-LIVE and 1GB reserved for video streaming services like Blockbuster).

The OPPO BDP-93 is engineered in the USA and assembled in China. The OPPO BDP-93 is one of the best 3-D Blu-ray players on the market with an excellent build quality. The ability to connect up to 3 optional hard drives at once is a nice feature on the OPPO BDP-93 (1 E-SATA hard drive , and 2 USB flash drives or hard drives).

For those that own an OPPO BDP-83, the advantage of upgrading to an OPPO BDP-93 is if one wants to be able to play Blu-ray 3-D movies and the ability to do video streaming from services like Netflix, Blockbuster, and soon VUDU. The lack of a 24fps DVD feature will be the only major downgrade when moving to the new OPPO BDP-93.

The following are select word for word quotes from the May 2011 Home Theater magazine review (pages 62-64):

“Blu-ray 3D players now support a maximum data rate of 72 megabits per second (up from 48 Mbps in previous generations), include HDMI 1.4, and of course these players support 3D video, 3D menus, and 3D subtitles.” The OPPO BDP-93 has two HDMI 1.4a outputs.

“Flawless playback of Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D Discs”

“Outstanding build quality”

“The best customer support in the industry”

“The BDP-93 is BD-Live compliant, so it has 1 GB of onboard storage.”

“In the three months I’ve been using the OPPO, it’s loaded everything I’ve thrown at it and delivered a solid user experience.”

“If you’re a purist who has racks and racks of audio disc, then there’s one more reason to consider the BDP-93: It’s audio performance is outstanding and rivals transports that cost two and three times as much.”

“At $499, the OPPO BDP-93 isn’t the cheapest 3D-capable player on the market, but it delivers one of the best user experiences at any price point.”

“The build quality is fantastic, from its solid 10.8 pound weight to the gold plating on its analog connections.”

“The BDP-93 sports a custom-developed tray from Japan. This tray opens smoother, and it reduces the vibration that the Blu-ray laser pickup’s high spinning speed can cause.”

“…the Marvell processing is only active on the HDMI-1 output; for HDMI-2 and component video, the OPPO passes the processing to a custom-made Mediatek decoder, which doesn’t measure up to the Qdeo solution."

“In January, the OPPO logo showed up on VUDU’s Website, and the player is currently undergoing testing process to get approved for the superior streaming service. Although I prefer physical media, there are times I’m in the mood for a particular film I don’t own. If I’m going to stream, I like to have the highest quality available. VUDU’s HDX service is the cat’s meow. It offers 1080p video with Dolby Digital Plus sound. Sure, it’s not Blu-ray, but the casual observer will be hard-pressed to tell the difference on most regular-sized displays.”

“As with past OPPO DVD and Blu-ray players, the BDP-93 sailed through all of our standard – and high-definition benchmarks.”

“It’s reference-quality DVD upconversion shows excellent fine object detail and virtually no ringing.”
Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

Home Theater Magazine just released the full OPPO BDP-93 review on their website. Click the following link to see the review:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/oppo-bdp-93-blu-ray-player
Old 04-23-2011, 07:50 AM

A glowing review. It would be interesting to know how many members here have this player and its brother the BDP-95.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
A glowing review. It would be interesting to know how many members here have this player and its brother the BDP-95.
You could create a poll asking that question.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 PM

I got it BDP-93 it's awesome.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM

I have it and once i resolved my drop out problem it has been an excellent performer.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM

I had 2 83 players..sold one...just setup my other as it was NIB...I'm not into streaming nor do i have a 3d Tv..so I am fine...OPPO is the way to go for a high quality player and the 93 and 95 players continue the tradition