Onkyo Announces its First 3D Blu-ray Player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Onkyo Announces its First 3D Blu-ray Player

The new BD-SP309 will be available in mid May for $249.

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/677689.html
Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

Thanks for the post. It’s also the first 3-D Blu-ray player on the market that has no analog video and no analog audio outputs. Which is fine for people that own modern HDTV’s with HDMI and modern A/V receivers.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...io-output.html

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 04-13-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: edited for accuracy
Old 04-14-2011, 11:23 AM

That sounds like a pretty good deal for a player from this company - its almost down to the price of lower-end players. I wonder how it stacks up - just sounds REALLY cheap for an Onkyo.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Default 3D compatibility

I'm a 3D noob, and I have a lingering question I can't seem to get answered. I know the 3D market hasn't been standardized yet and there are a few competing technologies (e.g. Samsung and LG use different 3D technologies in their displays and players). Therefore, the rule of thumb is to buy a 3D Blu-ray player and 3D TV of the same brand to ensure compatibility, right? Here's my question: how do you know, beyond brand matching, what equipment is compatible? This is especially confusing when you add a player (i.e. source), an A/V receiver, and a TV. Do you also have to make sure the receiver is compatible with the TV & player? In regard to this article, when a company like Onkyo, which doesn't manufacture displays, makes a 3D Blu-ray player, how do you know which TVs and receivers it will be compatible with?

Thanks for any informed advice!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo16 View Post
I'm a 3D noob, and I have a lingering question I can't seem to get answered. I know the 3D market hasn't been standardized yet and there are a few competing technologies (e.g. Samsung and LG use different 3D technologies in their displays and players). Therefore, the rule of thumb is to buy a 3D Blu-ray player and 3D TV of the same brand to ensure compatibility, right?
There is only one Blu-ray 3D standard. All Blu-ray 3D players output the 3D signal the same way, in "packed" 1920x2205 frames at 24fps. Any recent 3D HDTV should be designed to accept that signal. The differences come in how the TVs display the images. There are several different formats for that (frame sequential, checkerboard, top/bottom, side-by-side). However, it's the TV's job to sort all that out and convert the signal as required.

Older 3D TVs (before the Blu-ray 3D format was finalized) will probably not be able to accept the "packed" Blu-ray 3D frames without an external convertor device. Some Blu-ray 3D players may offer optional output modes that will do this conversion for you, but that's strictly for backwards compatibility with older TVs. You shouldn't need those with a newer TV.

Any brand of Blu-ray 3D player should be compatible with any recent 3D HDTV.

Quote:
This is especially confusing when you add a player (i.e. source), an A/V receiver, and a TV. Do you also have to make sure the receiver is compatible with the TV & player?
If you're going to route your video signal through an A/V receiver, that receiver will need to be able to pass through 3D video. This requires HDMI 1.4. When shopping, look for HDMI 1.4 and 3D Passthrough in the list of features. If you have an older HDMI 1.3 receiver, you can't route 3D video through it.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Any brand of Blu-ray 3D player should be compatible with any recent 3D HDTV.
Thanks, Josh! That significantly clears things up for me.