Samsung Launches an External 3D Blu-ray Drive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Samsung Launches an External 3D Blu-ray Drive

It's capable of 3D playback as well as the conversion of 2D movies into 3D.

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/675772.html
Old 03-28-2011, 01:15 PM

Can't any PC Blu-ray drive do 3D and you just need the right video hardware and playback software to take advantage? Though, if the press release is correct, this will finally bring Blu-ray to Mac.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Sevens View Post
Can't any PC Blu-ray drive do 3D and you just need the right video hardware and playback software to take advantage? Though, if the press release is correct, this will finally bring Blu-ray to Mac.
I was thinking the same thing actually. I have a LG BD burner (internal of course) and the PowerDVD 10 software. The software can convert 2d to 3d by itself; of course, as you said, you need the right equipment. For an example a decent graphics card (NVidia GeForce, etc.), a 3d monitor, and glasses of course would make this possible, along with a pretty fast computer.

I could be way off base here, but I think this information is correct. If I am wrong, which is entirely possible, hopefully a fellow member will be able to correct it.

I think the real story here may be the fact it is a portable blu ray player at a good price point. I will probably get one of these for my laptop.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorsese59 View Post
I was thinking the same thing actually. I have a LG BD burner (internal of course) and the PowerDVD 10 software. The software can convert 2d to 3d by itself; of course, as you said, you need the right equipment. For an example a decent graphics card (NVidia GeForce, etc.), a 3d monitor, and glasses of course would make this possible, along with a pretty fast computer.

I could be way off base here, but I think this information is correct. If I am wrong, which is entirely possible, hopefully a fellow member will be able to correct it.

I think the real story here may be the fact it is a portable blu ray player at a good price point. I will probably get one of these for my laptop.
You are entirely correct. I have a 3-4 year old Sony BDU-X10S that I have been using as my blu-ray drive and it does indeed do 3D Blu-ray. Was kinda worried when I first got the Nvidia 3d vision as I wasn't sure it would work with the drive, but no issues came up. And 3d conversion using software also works, although the conversion is the most awful thing I've ever seen.