Blu-ray Media - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Default Blu-ray Media

Hi all,

I hope this is the right Forum for this question, but I am looking at picking up a LG Blu-ray writer so I can start making some back-ups of my ever-growing BR collection. Is there any sort of consensus on what brands/specs make the most reliable, consistent quality BR-media?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:45 PM

I haven't done very much burning of blu-rays (just got a burner for Christmas). Most forums I peruse consistently state Verbatim makes the best media. However, they are also the most expensive.
I've been playing around with a stack of Merax 4x BD single layer media from Meritline. When on sale, these are less than $1 per disc (I think I paid $20 for a container of 25 media). This is actually rebranded Opto media apparently. They are inkjet printable and have burned 100% successfully using Imgburn with my Lite-On burner (ie. no coasters). I've only burned a few, but so far, they've worked fine.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 PM

I have has massive success with Verbatim 25GB discs. I also have a stack of 50 Optodisc 25's I'm going to try out this weekend.

I use ImgBurn exclusively. Probably over 150 discs burned now.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:47 PM

It seems the best "deal" I'm finding on Verbatim media is a "LTH" (Low to High manufacturing). The regular Verb BR media is at least $2 a disc from what I'm seeing. Do you guys have any feelings on this LTH style or if there are other places besides Amazon, Meritline, and Newegg to find good prices on the media?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 AM

From the brands available in Japan I like Panasonic, Sony and Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (= Verbatim). I don't like TDK media so much, have had some problems with those (specifically BD-RW DL type). Haven't tried the very cheapest brands since these name brands are also reasonably priced here.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woecarlson View Post
It seems the best "deal" I'm finding on Verbatim media is a "LTH" (Low to High manufacturing). The regular Verb BR media is at least $2 a disc from what I'm seeing. Do you guys have any feelings on this LTH style or if there are other places besides Amazon, Meritline, and Newegg to find good prices on the media?
This is a shitty price, but already is cheaper than your $2/disc. And its in Canada. Surely the US could be had for cheaper:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...TIM-_-17130070
Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 AM

FYI .... for anybody looking into LTH media, keep in mind that you need a BD burner that supports that type of media. (Only recent burners - made in the past year or so - support them.) Basically, they're cheaper because they can manufacture them on existing DVD production lines. Also, any BD movies burned on them may or may not work in a typical CE player. I generally use my LTH discs for data backup, but have burned a couple of BD-movies this way. The only player that has ever successfully played it as a movie disc is my Oppo BDP-93.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 AM

I downloaded the firmware update and my BR players now does recognize these Verb LTH discs as valid media. Now my problem is 3 of the first 10 I've used have resulted in this error at some point in the writing process.

I/O Error!
Interpretation: Check Condition

Interpretation: Write Error

Anyone know if this would be an issue with ImgBurn, the drive itself (LG) or faulty media?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woecarlson View Post
I downloaded the firmware update and my BR players now does recognize these Verb LTH discs as valid media. Now my problem is 3 of the first 10 I've used have resulted in this error at some point in the writing process.

I/O Error!
Interpretation: Check Condition

Interpretation: Write Error

Anyone know if this would be an issue with ImgBurn, the drive itself (LG) or faulty media?
Jack the burn speed down to 1x.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM

Burned optical media doesn't last forever like stamped optical media. I always burn at a slower than max speed and I always do the verification pass. However, problems still crop up 10 years down the road.

A couple of years ago I pulled out all my archived, burned CDs and DVDs (data and videos) and started copying them to a new hard drive. Many had "gone bad" despite no visible damage. The Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, and Sony discs did very well. Typical brands like Memorex, TDK, Maxell, and whatnot had a few problems. Store brand names were the worst, with about 70% of "CompUSA" and "Computer City" discs failing.

Obviously I don't know how this translates to BD-Rs. We won't know for many years, but if I get into BD recording, I'm sticking with Taiyu Yuden, Verbatim, or Sony.