OPPO bdp-93 problem - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 67
Default OPPO bdp-93 problem

My Oppo is having bad handshake problems. The picture and sound keep dropping out, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for several minutes. I have updated the firmware on the player. I have also contacted customer suport, but the didn't have much to suggest except to switch out the cables. Anyone have any suggestions? I am about ready to throw the player out. I am connecting it thru my Pioneer VSX-1020k receiver to my Sony xbr-52hx909 tv.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,420
Default

Do you have another HDMI cable to try and see if it's possibly the cable? And I assume you've checked the connections to make sure the cable connected is seated firmly?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

And if it's not the cable, disconnect video from the receiver and connect directly to your TV instead. In an HDMI chain, every single component needs to work, or nothing will work.

You're fortunate that the BDP-93 has 2 HDMI outputs. You can connect one straight to your TV for video and the other to your receiver for audio simultaneously.

As a matter of fact, do you have this problem with both of the player's HDMI outputs, or just one? Have you tried both?
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 67
Default

I haven't tried both of them yet, only the hdmi 1. I have switched out the hdmi cable, but am having the same problem. I'll try the two cable setup tomorrow and see if I have the same problem.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 AM
vinnie97's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,897
Default

I was having this initially...I moved the player closer to the receiver (so that there was less stress on the connection) and they went away, until recently. I'm beginning to get them again, though they only last for 3-5 seconds. It might be time for me to try another HDMI cable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 67
Default

My player is no more than a foot or so from my receiver. Acutally, this evening I tried using an HDMI cable from the HDMI 1 output to the TV and the HDMI 2 output to the received. This seemed to solve the problem. I watched two movies and there was nary a dropout during the two films. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. They helped a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Hi......just got my OPPO. Connected as stated in the manual but the picture quality is not good. Did the updated firmware help you ? Any advice on how to solve my problem. Many thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norvabear View Post
My Oppo is having bad handshake problems. The picture and sound keep dropping out, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for several minutes. I have updated the firmware on the player. I have also contacted customer suport, but the didn't have much to suggest except to switch out the cables. Anyone have any suggestions? I am about ready to throw the player out. I am connecting it thru my Pioneer VSX-1020k receiver to my Sony xbr-52hx909 tv.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camilo View Post
Hi......just got my OPPO. Connected as stated in the manual but the picture quality is not good. Did the updated firmware help you ? Any advice on how to solve my problem. Many thanks in advance.
What exactly is the problem? "Picture quality is not good" is pretty vague. What are you watching? What's wrong with it? What settings have you used? Have you calibrated your TV?
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 67
Default

The problem I had was the picture kept dropping in and out, if you got one at all.. If you use HDMI 1 for the picture, since it has the better video processing, and connect it directly to the TV, you'll get a very good picture. The HDMI 2 should be used for the sound and connected directly to the receiver. This set up seems to work very well. The firmware updates have not helped at all in this regards.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvabear View Post
The problem I had was the picture kept dropping in and out, if you got one at all.. If you use HDMI 1 for the picture, since it has the better video processing, and connect it directly to the TV, you'll get a very good picture. The HDMI 2 should be used for the sound and connected directly to the receiver. This set up seems to work very well. The firmware updates have not helped at all in this regards.
Using HDMI 1 for video is preferred in any case, because that one goes through the QDEO chip for processing, whereas HDMI 2 goes through the player's basic Mediatek chip.
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OPPO BDP-93 & OPPO BDP-83 review links that talk about the quality 24fps DVD feature HDTV1080P Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 7 08-31-2012 04:52 PM
NuForce/OPPO BDP-93 NE and BDP-93 NXE (Compared to OPPO BDP-95) Professional review HDTV1080P Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 0 09-15-2011 09:46 AM
Sony BDP-S780 or Oppo BDP-93 venky Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 7 03-15-2011 10:48 PM
Sony BDP-S780, BDP-S580, BDP-S480, and BDP-S380 pricing information and some details HDTV1080P Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 3 02-24-2011 04:16 AM
The Sony BDP-S570 is the new reference player for speed that beats the OPPO BDP-83 HDTV1080P Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 66 05-22-2010 07:47 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off