Sony BDP-S780 or Oppo BDP-93 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 PM

Default Sony BDP-S780 or Oppo BDP-93

I have been inclined towards the Oppo since I currently have the Oppo 981-HD and the PQ is excellent. I happened to read articles on the new sony 780 and looks like it is a good deal for less than half the price. Besides the extra HDMI out on the Oppo, the differences seem very minimal.
Are there any other differences especially in the video processing. Also I don't see anything on video DAC's or post processor in the Sony other than super bit mapping and noise reduction.
Does the sony include 7.1 channel Analog out.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Video DACs aren't relevant unless you use component output.

The Oppo also has noise reduction. Don't know how good it is, but Qdeo's NR is supposedly quite a bit better than ABT VRS's (in the Oppo 83). But I don't think it's quite HQV level--but still probably better than Sony's.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 AM

I expect you would do fine with either player. I think the key here is how you intend to use the player.
Are you considering 7.1 analog out because you intend to use that because you do not have a receiver that can handle audio off a HDMI connection or decode lossless audio - but it is at least 5.1 with analog audio inputs?
Do you plan to connect video via component instead of HDMI because your TV does not support HDMI?
Do you plan to play DVDs frequently on the player?
If you are going to connect via HDMI for both video and audio - either player would probably serve you the same . . except for the price.
If you are planning to use 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs, be sure you understand the issues many folks run into balancing the LFE channel level with the other channels.
If you plan to play DVDs and want to upconvert them - be aware you most likely need to connect via HDMI to take advantage of that capability.
Just some items and issues to investigate and consider.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 AM

In my opinion, Oppo and Sony make the best Blu-ray players I have seen. I couldn't find anything on the Sony site indicating whether or not the BDP-S780 has 7.1 analog output. Here is the Sony comparison which should include this new player soon.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...are:ss#/bluray

I would expect the Oppo BDP-93 to be a better DVD player and there is zero chance the Sony player will play DVD-A if that is an important format. If the additional cost isn't an important issue, my recommendation would be to purchase the Oppo player but waiting for independent reviews will help if you are like most of us and the cost is a major consideration.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the advise.
Both my TV (Pioneer 60' plasma and marantz 7001 have HDMI). I was planning to use 7.1 analog to connect to my receiver(7.1 audio in), not sure if it will make a significant difference. Currently I use HDMI between my 2 sources (DVD, Directtv) and receiver. I do plan to play DVD's since I have a significant collection but it will change to Netflix or other online streaming in the future. I do plan to watch blurays and I do want a player that can produce good PQ. I don't really care for DVD-A or SACD. I am not sure if I will need component outs anymore. Price is a factor and I don't mind spending twice the amount if it is justified.

Here's a comparison between the 2:
blu-ray.com/players/index.php?prods=22426%2C26495&show=comparison
Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 PM

I looked up your receiver and it appears that it is not capable of decoding the newer lossless audio codecs found in blu-ray. Assuming you have a good quality speaker system, you could be well served, utilizing the analog audio inputs in order to try out lossless audio codecs off blu-rays. Keep in mind there are frequent debates in forums like this about whether or not lossless audio codecs make much difference. Personally, in my system, I can hear improvement using the lossless audio - but to be honest, it is not earth shattering. The other good news is it appears your Marantz receiver has pretty flexible gain controls for the multi channel analog inputs (able to both increase and decrease volume in each channel). You will probably have to adjust the subwoofer channel in order to get proper balance as many (most? all?) blu-ray players do not ouput an adequate analog volume level signal for the subwoofer.
As Chris said, Oppo's have a reputation for stellar DVD upconversion - while the Sony will most likely offer "adequate" upconversion only. You'll have to decide how much that is worth to you. Personally, even given my large collection of DVDs, I watch HD discs only in my home theater and leave the DVD watching to locations where I don't have access to HD equipment (traveling, laptop, the mountain cabin, etc.).
Enjoy!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 PM

I just checked AVSForums on the Marantz 7001 and it appears to me to have HDMI 1.1 so just set the player to decode and output PCM over HDMI and the maze of cables for analog audio won't be needed. You will be able to the use advanced audio codecs with lossless audio if that information is correct and based on the year of release, 2006, I feel certain it is. I have compared having receiver decode to having player decode and with my reveiver, a Yamaha RXV-663, I am absolutely certain I can tell no difference.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
As Chris said, Oppo's have a reputation for stellar DVD upconversion - while the Sony will most likely offer "adequate" upconversion only. You'll have to decide how much that is worth to you. Personally, even given my large collection of DVDs, I watch HD discs only in my home theater and leave the DVD watching to locations where I don't have access to HD equipment (traveling, laptop, the mountain cabin, etc.).
Enjoy!
Thank you and Chris for looking up my receiver specs and providing me with some valuable information. I am planning to go with the Sony mainly for the price to performance ratio. I can still use my oppo 981-HD if it does a better DVD up-conversion than the Sony. For bluray and streaming, I can use the sony.
As far as audio is concerned, I will try the multi channel analog inputs and compare the sound.

Thanks