How to Buy a Blu-ray Player (Feb 2011 Home Theater article) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Default How to Buy a Blu-ray Player (Feb 2011 Home Theater article)

This is an interesting article to read

A few Quotes

“With Blu-ray Disc players, firmware updates are a necessary evil. Most often, these updates don’t offer anything new or exciting in terms of updated features or functions; they merely ensure that you’ll be able to play the next blockbuster release without any hiccups.”

“Sony’s PlayStation 3 is popular, and it’s apparent the studios work hard to ensure proper playback on that platform. The PS3 is more devoid of playback issues than any player we’ve experienced. OPPO’s players have been nearly as solid, but perhaps just as importantly, OPPO has been ultra swift on the trigger finger when issues have arisen, delivering fast, easy-to-implement firmware updates when needed. Overall, player stability seems much improved since Blu-ray’s early days."

http://www.hometheater.com/content/how-buy-blu-ray-player
Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 PM

So, "how to buy a blu-ray player" means to only buy a PS3 or an Oppo?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
So, "how to buy a blu-ray player" means to only buy a PS3 or an Oppo?
Panasonic and Sony standalone Blu-ray players have a long history of offering good quality firmware updates also. The PS3 is king in terms of the least amount of issues with new releases. The OPPO and Panasonic Blu-ray players have better DVD upconversion compared to Sony and many other brands.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:52 AM

If you want a game system that can also play blu-rays, and feel confident that Sony will not lose their patent fights with LG - then a PS3 might be a good choice.
If you want an overpriced quality blu-ray player that has had a fair number of firmware issues, but responds to them rapidly and frequently, then an Oppo might be for you.
If you care about quality blu-ray playback performance and want top quality and reliable performance at attractive prices - then look hard at standalone player models from Sony and Panasonic.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 AM

Chances of Sony losing its patent fight with LG internationally, slim to none....unless LG is ready to go to the mat in the game of mutually assured destruction.

If you also have an iota of interest in high-def audio discs (including high resolution multi-channel FLAC playback via USB/eSATA, which no other consumer player at its price or under has as far as I'm aware), along with the most highly configurable Blu-player likely known to man (and excellent upscaling quality), its value proposition becomes even more attractive (and "overpriced" becomes a highly subjective description of the item).
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM

This is funny and interesting since because of one of those famous updates burned a lot of the old ( fat ) PS3
Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 AM

I think either a PS3 or one of the Oppo players would be a safe bet for anybody, which one would depend on their needs. I also like Sony, Panasonic and LG stand alone players but in my opinion the PS3 and Oppo are better. My only bad experiences are with Samsung and I can't imagine ever recommending Samsung Blu-ray players again. Of course he under $100 players from the lesser brand names could be fine as well, I just don't have any experience with those.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
If you also have an iota of interest in high-def audio discs (including high resolution multi-channel FLAC playback via USB/eSATA, which no other consumer player at its price or under has as far as I'm aware), along with the most highly configurable Blu-player likely known to man (and excellent upscaling quality), its value proposition becomes even more attractive (and "overpriced" becomes a highly subjective description of the item).
Gosh Vinnie, I think $1,000 for Oppo's current blu-ray model qualifies as "overpriced", but I would surely change my comment to say "very high priced" if that is more acceptable.
If a consumer cares enough about the unique features in the Oppo to pay probably 5 times the price for the player when compared to a Sony or Panasonic standalone, then by all means, the Oppo deserves serious consideration.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM

The BDP-93 is not $1,000. Try half that. ;-)
Old 03-02-2011, 12:25 PM

It`s the 95 that cost`s 1000$ but its a specific model Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Disc Player .