PlayStation 3 Banned in Europe - Shipments Seized - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-01-2011, 11:47 AM
HDD Contributor

Default PlayStation 3 Banned in Europe - Shipments Seized

A patent dispute between Sony and LG could mean a complete shutdown of European sales.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-legal-dispute
Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Wow, what a mess this litigation is going to be with seven lawsuits. I am not an attorney and can't understand European patent law or the technical issues any better than I understand brain surgery but ultimately I don't think this mess turns out well for LG.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
Wow, what a mess this litigation is going to be with seven lawsuits. I am not an attorney and can't understand European patent law or the technical issues any better than I understand brain surgery but ultimately I don't think this mess turns out well for LG.
Hell hath no greater fury than Sony pissed off at you.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Did Sony not invent Blu Ray? How do they infringe on LG? LG, the same LG that can't make a firmware to play the latest batch of Disney movies?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 AM

No, Sony is not fully responsible for its creation...it was a collaborative effort, with Panasonic holding many patents (and Pioneer with a few). This is the ugly side of the BD consortium. ;-)
Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Huh. What did Sony violate?

Sony has a problem with a history violating other companies patents then after the fact paying them off or having a judgment against them. EU seems to be the place to bring a crazy suit, although LG may have grounds. It isn't as crazy as the guys who patent a generic disc design "for storing data and movies" then sue DVD/Blu/HD DVD for damages

Quote:
LG's Blu-ray patents in particular address ways to reproduce data stored on read-only devices, as well of methods for handling multiple data streams.
Sounds a little thin to me, but this is a case Sony can lose especially in the EU. LG may not be as Big as Sony but they can't be steamrolled as Sony is used to doing to smaller companies.

EDIT

Ahhh.. Sony started it by suing LG over Cell Phones. Way to go Sony,

Lg may have enough legitimate patents to hurt Sony if a Judge is inclined to believe them

Quote:
‘Each of the respondents actively induces others to infringe the asserted claims through the sale of its electronic devices having a Blu-Ray Disc player along with directions, demonstrations, guides, manuals, training for use, and other materials. Each of the respondents knew or should have known that its actions would induce actual infringement of the asserted patents.’

Last edited by The_Doctor; 03-04-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 AM

I really hope after I post this it is not misinterpreted. I am not someone who condones piracy or theft in any way. This is actually the first and probably last post I will make regarding any issues or lawsuits regarding Sony; basically because on a day to day basis it does not affect me. I pay much closer attention to politics, the economy, and my government to be honest. Ok with that said...

I am actually happy this is happening to Sony and, truth be told, am a fan and supporter of Sony. I bought a PS3 within the first couple months of release and have been using it ever since. I recently bought another one to replace my Blu-ray player in my bedroom. It is far and away one of the best electronics purchases I have ever made. It also is the most "future-proof" pieces of electronis I have purchased for sure. No other piece of equipment has allowed me to update it more than the ps3. However Sony, especially recently, seems to have been getting somewhat...well, arrogant and pushy toward other companies, especially smaller ones. They have filed what amounts to, in my opinion, frivolous lawsuits against much smaller companies who have not a chance in Hell of defending themselves against such a large company with deep pockets. Some of these companies have had no choice but to go out of business. I honestly do not think that is right. Most recently, I am sure you all have heard about the lawsuit brought against the well know hacker George Hotz, who goes by "Geohot". He has developed tons of so-called hacks for the various iPhones and firmware versions. Apple has not once gone after him or any individual person; they did however try to stop jail breaking in general and the case was denied, thus making jail breaking legal. So rather than Sony spend time and money taking it to Federal court just to get it shot down, they go after an individual who they expected to be defenseless and someone they could use as an example. Apparently George has some decent attorneys and there are many who support him throughout the world. Yeah he has done some pretty silly things over the past couple months but he is young, and also spends much of his life staring at a monitor so he is having some fun, give him a break. I, for one, despise it when huge companies I purchase products from try to tell me what I can and cannot do with those products. They are mine, I own them. I have “jailbroke” all six of the iPhones I have bought for wife and I, plus an iPad and hacked a Wii to install homebrew. Have I committed any crimes? Believe it or not, no I have not. Are there people who do the same thing I have done and end up committing piracy? Absolutely there are. However I also own a gun but have never killed anyone but others who have guns kill people every day. Gun control has always been a big debate but they have never been outlawed they have always been legal, at least in the U.S. Now, all of a sudden, Sony is taking an individual to court for something on a federal level has already been deemed perfectly legal. Of course this is only my opinion and I realize many will disagree in posts to follow, but I believe Sony had this coming and they deserve whatever punishment gets dealt to them.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorsese59 View Post
However Sony, especially recently, seems to have been getting somewhat...well, arrogant and pushy toward other companies, especially smaller ones.
This is definitely not a recent development. They've been like this for decades.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 PM

^haha, exactly, just another reason I try to avoid their products at all costs. They're ruthless but not alone or unique sadly....it runs in the territory.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 AM

Oh i definitely agree with the two posts above for sure. I was basically pointing out it seems like since the PS3 came out Sony has actually gotten worse regarding this type of behavior. For example, it has happened more frequent, gotten more frivolous, and they went after an individual who according to the U.S. Federal Court system did not commit a crime. We know they have had a somewhat poor reputation for some time now but I just feel it is worse. Perhaps I just perceive it that way. It is possible it is getting more attention because the internet is filled to the brim with news storied like this, whereas 15-20 years ago that was not the case.

I am actually pleasantly surprised there were two comments and both of them agreed Sony is not exactly a great company.