What (if any) device plays: 3D Blu-ray, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Amazon OnDemand? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-01-2011, 04:56 AM

What (if any) device plays: 3D Blu-ray, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Amazon OnDemand?

So, my PS3 recently broke (well, it still streams stuff just fine, but won't read any disc) and I don't really want to spend another $300 to buy a new one (it's way out of warranty) and I'd VERY MUCH love to have a native Pandora app on my device, so instead of paying $100 to get it fixed, I was thinking I'd look into replacing it with another device that does all that I'm hoping to do with it and decided to come here for suggestions.

Here's my desired list, and if any of you know of a single player that does ALL of this, I'd be very excited:

- 3D Blu-ray playback (don't have a 3DTV yet, but intend to get one at some point)
- Netflix streaming
- Hulu Plus
- Amazon OnDemand
- Pandora

Also would be nice, but not required:

- GoogleTV
- Vudu
- DLNA

And of course I recognize that the PS3 does most of these, and that with a combination of a couple or a few devices I can get all of this done really well, but I'd prefer only one device for all of this, and for less than $300. (Up to $300 if it handles Pandora and GoogleTV!)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM

You might want to look at Panasonic's latest models. Has most of the items you're looking for, and *might* be getting Hulu Plus too. From Hulu's web site late last year: "Hulu Plus will be coming to Internet-connected Vizio, LG Electronics, and Panasonic Blu-ray players"

A firmware update recently added Vudu to previous gen 3D machines, so Panasonic is certainly capable of rolling out substantial updates like Hulu to these players.

<edit>
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...-unboxing.html

Looks like the Sony is real close, but missing Amazon Streaming.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 AM

I don't know which single device can do all of that for $300 but it is amazing in my opinion that it is very likely something can. The best single option for covering most is probably still the PS3. Based on everything LG has been able to put in inexpensive Blu-ray players, I wouldn't be surprised if LG has done it. If the correct answer is a Samsung Blu-ray player, I would recommend doing something else since I have had such terrible luck with Samsung Blu-ray players. If it is Sony, Panasonic or LG, buy with confidence.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:01 AM

My new Sony S480 does all of the above. (minus GoogleTV)
Old 05-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGardner View Post
My new Sony S480 does all of the above. (minus GoogleTV)
I actually ended up picking up the S580. :-D
Only thing it's missing (that I didn't know I wanted when I made the list) is Apple's AirPlay, but I guess I'll just grab an Apple TV for that.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:50 AM

I would take a look at the Onkyo BD-SP309 3D Ready Blu-ray Player it has Vudu and netflix plus it also has internet radio as well. It is wireless as well. I don't think it has Amazon on demand, but If you have the Roku then don't worry about it. This Onkyo unit just came out so there aren't really any reviews yet but from what I heard it's pretty good and the price is reasonable as well it's about $199 not including shipping & Handling or tax. If you want to take a look at it go to http://www.onecall.com