HELP ! new to blueray and new to Sony BDP-BX57 and new to Netflix - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Default HELP ! new to blueray and new to Sony BDP-BX57 and new to Netflix

New Sony BDP-BX57 Blu ray NetflixPandora apps-

I just bought a new Sony BDP-BX57. So far so good except that Im sure I dont have a clue how to use it to its fullest potential.
I'm outputing it to an Invidia LCD tv.
I have watched a few blue ray discs and they look nice, but I just signed up for netflix and the picture quality sucks.
Its grainy and pixelated looking.
I'm obviously streaming it via my Sony's built in Wi-Fi.
I talked with Netflix and they said the problem is my ATT DSL line speed.
They say they need to have a minimum of 150 line speed and mine is at issue.
But, when I run 3rd party speed tests on it, It runs around 600/200K.
I have the cheapest DSL package and I dont know if that is good or bad.
And if others are using the DSL it dips as low as 450k.
My dish network looks great and my computer seems to run fine.
The xbox runs good with no lag??
Strange thing is that if I run previews of movies from other pay services available over the wireless Sony and they all look very nice but I have not actually paid and watched one.
Trying to figure out if this neflix is crap or what?
mike
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Well, first of all Netflix streaming picture quality is going to suck compared to blu-ray. I don't have the fastest internet speed either because I live out in the country a few miles beyond where DSL is available so I get 3mbps (megabytes per second) download from WiFi (long range wireless). Netflix adjusts the streaming quality but at that speed I wasn't getting DVD quality.

When you say "They say they need to have a minimum of 150 line speed", I think you mean 1.5mbps. And if your DSL speed is only 600/200k, that is awfully slow for DSL. I didn't think they offered DSL service less than a couple mbps. Try this speed test service and see what is says for your speed:

http://www.speedtest.net/
Old 02-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I'm obviously streaming it via my Sony's built in Wi-Fi.
I agree with Cochise as to the source of your issues. However there is another link in the data chain, that being your link between your router and your Sony. You say you watch trailers that look fine, are those downloaded and played or streamed trailers off of a BD-Live disk from say Universal that streams their trailers but Sony downloads then.

Last edited by Maxx_75; 02-05-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: grammar