Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TheDickWard is offline HDD Contributor

Default Early-Purchase Oppo BDP-95 Players Sold Out - Shipping in February

I got an email yesterday about the availability of early BDP-95's from Oppo and they were marked as sold out just shortly after.

Did anyone happen to pick one up?

vläd is offline Member

I got mine in within 10 minutes of getting the email. Order is showing; Est Ship Date: 2/1 thru 2/4
    "Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!"

cupboy is offline Member

From where? You buying these directly from the manufacturer? What did it cost?

vläd is offline Member

I signed up for an early release notification as soon as Oppo announced the player. And yes, Oppo sells directly to the public. The price was $999 + shipping.
    "Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!"

I have to ask, why would anyone pay $1,000 for a Blu-Ray player? Does thing at least stroke you off for the $1,000.00?

There are tons of great players out there sub $500, I just am wondering why pay a $1,000.00 for 5 year old technology.
    My Next Film "All in the Game" starring Chris Clanton and Micaiah Jones from HBO's The Wire! www.allinthegamemovie.net NOW TAKING HD DVD and BLU-RAY Pre-Orders

cupboy is offline Member

Most people buy them for the audio improvements. People who use the analog outputs, like me. Those who play SACDs and high resolution dvd-audio disks. They also decode HDCDs which is unusual.

Anyone who buys these strictly for Blu-ray playback probably is spending too much. And this is a product of China.

I plan to buy one of these as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I have to ask, why would anyone pay $1,000 for a Blu-Ray player? Does thing at least stroke you off for the $1,000.00?

There are tons of great players out there sub $500, I just am wondering why pay a $1,000.00 for 5 year old technology.
    Go ahead and provide a list of the players that will do what this one does for under $500. Also find any players that won't do half of what this one does using the same DACs for the $1,000.

HDTV1080P is offline Banned

The new 3-D OPPO BDP-95 is an excellent deal for $999. The only other Blu-ray player that is comparable is the 2-D Denon DVD-A1UDCI with its dedicated XLR stereo outputs and 2 HDMI outputs for a $4,500 list price.

http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...f-8da0f4de0482

Ok, who the hell needs XLR out for their home theater? Seriously that is plain overkill. Unless you're Quentin Tarantino or Brad Pitt you're just throwing away money.

The DVD Audio function is nice but my plain ole Samsung DVD player already does that. SACD, ok I will buy that people want it for that purpose, but, SACD has been around a while and I would think who ever has any SACD already has a player for it. HDCD... got me on that one, but seriously for home theater on the budget most of us live on for money, come on.... again this is not newly launched technology... $1,000.00 is just beyond overpriced especially for OPPO

Now someone mentioned DENON, if that name was on it I could see maybe spending $1,000.00, but DENON has always been a high end audio company. Hell in my DJ days I used DENON DN-2500F Cd Players that was a $2500.00 Dual Disc unit with Reverse Sampling, Looping and +/- 16% Pitch control, but that was new technology in 1997, so you paid a premium for something like that today that same unit if still made would be about $699.00

Seriously, $1,000.00 for a BR player 5 years into the technologies release, over priced, even for the XLR outputs which seem to be the only advantage versus the HDCD. Just my opinion of course, but I am sure if you sat down long and hard enough to think about it... you're wasting your money. Especially for an item that will be outdated in 6 months
    My Next Film "All in the Game" starring Chris Clanton and Micaiah Jones from HBO's The Wire! www.allinthegamemovie.net NOW TAKING HD DVD and BLU-RAY Pre-Orders

AndersT2 is offline Member

Nobody is forcing YOU to buy the player!!!

And why can't Oppo make a better player than Denon?

And why isn't $1000 and ok price for a 5 year old technology, when you paid $2500 for a 13-18 year old technology in 1997?

This one hasn't the same build quality as the Denon at $4500, but if Denon made a player 100% like this one, with just Denon in stead of Oppo on the front. The price would be double or more. Just because Denon has a bigger company to employ. Oppo are small, makes great players, and sells directly to the customer. They win, and we win.

And if one has a good amp to use, the BDP-93 at half the price will be just as great.
    LCD: Philips 58" 21:9 Display, HD DVD: Toshiba HD-XE1, Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-93 (Regionfree). Amp: Marantz A8802A+Rotel RMB-1575+RMB-1565, Speakers: Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand, VA Maestro center. VA Hayden, Paradigm Cinema 330 surrounds and PSB CW180R. Definitive Technology Supercube Referance subwoofer. .

Movies: . BD: 1696, BD-3D: 90 , HD DVD: 158, DVD: 2902, VHS: 150, LaserDisc: 62. Downloaded: 0

It may be worth it , i love Oppo .. but is it really worth Double the price of the Amazing BDP-93 ? Maybe like $699 - $799 ..

One thing i don't like is the Duel HDMI isnt exactly duel .. 1 is full on the other is quite limited .. i hope next years model is full on duel HDMI for Projector and another display

Quote Originally Posted by AndersT2 View Post
    Nobody is forcing YOU to buy the player!!!

And why can't Oppo make a better player than Denon?

And why isn't $1000 and ok price for a 5 year old technology, when you paid $2500 for a 13-18 year old technology in 1997?

This one hasn't the same build quality as the Denon at $4500, but if Denon made a player 100% like this one, with just Denon in stead of Oppo on the front. The price would be double or more. Just because Denon has a bigger company to employ. Oppo are small, makes great players, and sells directly to the customer. They win, and we win.

And if one has a good amp to use, the BDP-93 at half the price will be just as great.
    Actually no one had done what DENON had done in 1997 with a CD player (pitch, Sampling, Looping,) that was major new features and technology put with a tried and true platform.

This Blu-Ray player isn't doing all that... when it makes some significant changes or adds significant features such as what DENON did with the CD player, by making it DJ friendly, then I could see blowing $1,000.00 but honestly the features being touted seem like a waste of cash. Save your money and spend it on something more worthwhile.

chipvideo is offline Member

I have a question about the audio. I am only using analog outs. Is the 95 that much better than the 93?

mrmota is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
    I have a question about the audio. I am only using analog outs. Is the 95 that much better than the 93?
    Yes. In addition to overall better circuitry on all the analogs you get dedicated two channel outs. On the 93 you have to use the L and R for two channel play back. The difference in price is all in the analog audio department. The 93 and 95 are different animals unlike the 83 and 83SE that was Oppo's first foray into a universal blu ray player. Some folks have older systems that are not HDMI and this affords them the ability to play new high def codecs. Audiophiles also will not have to part with gear they feel beats out any present day AVRs. 1000 bucks is not that bad a price considering Denon's solution is 4x with less abilities and slow as molasses.
    Last edited by mrmota; 01-31-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: 123

chipvideo is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrmota View Post
    Yes. In addition to overall better circuitry on all the analogs you get dedicated two channel outs. On the 93 you have to use the L and R for two channel play back. The difference in price is all in the analog audio department. The 93 and 95 are different animals unlike the 83 and 83SE that was Oppo's first foray into a universal blu ray player. Some folks have older systems that are not HDMI and this affords them the ability to play new high def codecs. Audiophiles also will not have to part with gear they feel beats out any present day AVRs. 1000 bucks is not that bad a price considering Denon's solution is 4x with less abilities and slow as molasses.
    Hey thanks for the reply!!! I guess the 95 is the player for my setup then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast