External Blu-Ray Drive for Mac - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-18-2011, 02:23 PM

Default External Blu-Ray Drive for Mac

I'm looking to get an external blu-ray drive for my Mac. I've done a little bit of Googling, and the only thing that I've seen is some $500 drive that is just too much for my blood.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an external blu-ray drive that's reasonably priced?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Tim View Post
I'm looking to get an external blu-ray drive for my Mac. I've done a little bit of Googling, and the only thing that I've seen is some $500 drive that is just too much for my blood.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an external blu-ray drive that's reasonably priced?
I am not sure if any of these work with a mac or not or if there is driver support for them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...u-ray%20Burner
Old 01-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

You can burn stuff to Blu-ray, and rip, but I don't think you can play movies without doing a ton of crazy stuff. Apple seems to not care about Blu-ray, even a recent article today stated they the MacBook Air is the 'future' of Macbooks (i.e. no Disc Drive), so don't expect much support in the future.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 PM

OWC sells BD drives that are tested to work perfectly on Macs.
Reader $170:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/MRF8USD5BD/
Burner $220:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/MRF8UEBDW10/

If you want to go cheaper, all of the following internal drives are known to work on a Mac. Others may work as well. You'll just need to buy a 5.25" drive enclosure to put the drive in yourself. Doing so doesn't require any expertise other than using a screwdriver:
LG WH10LS30
LG WH10LS30K
LG WH10LS30KMP

Newegg.com is a good place to get drives and enclosures.