Sony BDP-S 350 returned, now there's a new issue... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Question Sony BDP-S 350 returned, now there's a new issue...

Hello all,

as posted below, I had my Sony BDP-S350 sent in for repair after an update-disc got stuck inside.
Now the player is back and I have a new problem: It won't output anymore HD-audio (DTS-HD / Dolby TruHD). Connected everything the way it was before and now all that I get is a DTS 5.1 when the disc states a HD7.1 soundtrack. Did work fine before the update-incident. Very strange.
Tried to tweak all sorts of settings but to no avail. Maybe I missed something?

Audio Settings:
Audio Output Priority: HDMI
Audio (HDMI) auto
BD Audio setting: Direct
Audio ATT: off
Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital
DTS: DTS
48kHz/96kHz PCM: 48kHz / 16bit
Audio DRC: Wide Range
Downmix: Dolby Surround

Anyone got an idea?
Help would be very much appreciated.

Best regards and thanks in advance

Michael
Old 01-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Banned

The Sony BDP-S350 will not internally decode DTS-HD Master audio to PCM. The only way you are going to be able to hear the advanced audio formats is to set the BDP-S350 to bitstream over HDMI to a receiver that accepts the advanced audio formats. The receiver will then convert 5.1-7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 5.1-7.1 Dolby TrueHD to PCM. Modern A/V receivers will also accept 5.1-7.1 PCM over HDMI. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master audio works like a zip file when a A/V receiver receives the signal (sound quality is bit for bit the same as the PCM studio master).

Now some older receivers will only decode the standard core DTS or Dolby audio track if the receiver lacks the advanced audio formats capabilities. Also the Blu-ray disc movie menu needs to have the correct audio setting.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

The direct setting in the menu of the BDP-S350 under BD audio should pass a bitstream signal over HDMI (You have that menu setting correct). I use to own two Sony BDP-S350 players before I upgraded to a few OPPO players. Try another Blu-ray movie, if still having problems make sure your A/V recevier is setup correctly. You can always power cycle the A/V receiver and Blu-ray player to see if that fixes anything. Also doing a factory reset on the Sony Blu-ray player may fix issue but you will need to reconfigure all your menu settings.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 01-15-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Hello HDTV1080P,
thanks for the reply. Looks like there IS an issue with the device again.
My receiver knows how to handle these HD-bitstreams - it did so before the update-desaster.
Guess I'll have to send the thing back in.
Best regards
Michael
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

If you connect the player directly up to the ethernet jack for firmware updates it is very reliable. Check online and update the player over the Internet before sending it back. Even if you do not have a ethernet jack next to the TV it would be better to temp move the player next to your router to have the player check for any new software updates (Routers normally have built in ethernet jacks if your house is not wired with CAT6A, CAT6, or CAT5E). I have never had problems updating the BDP-S350 firmware when connect over a Ethernet connection.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
If you connect the player directly up to the ethernet jack for firmware updates it is very reliable. Check online and update the player over the Internet before sending it back. Even if you do not have a ethernet jack next to the TV it would be better to temp move the player next to your router to have the player check for any new software updates (Routers normally have built in ethernet jacks if your house is not wired with CAT6A, CAT6, or CAT5E). I have never had problems updating the BDP-S350 firmware when connect over a Ethernet connection.
Are you 100% certain your receiver is set to use the audio being bitstreamed over your hdmi cable and not a coax or optical cable connection?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM

Get a pannasonic bdp85 from amazon. Its the best player out there for the money. It just flat out works with no hiccups. Decodes dtsma and truehd and passes them out of the analog outs as well. It also doesnt have that stupid cinavia protection built in like many sony players. Its basically another added layer of drm and we dont want drm on our players.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...300483&sr=1-10
Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
Get a pannasonic bdp85 from amazon. Its the best player out there for the money. It just flat out works with no hiccups. Decodes dtsma and truehd and passes them out of the analog outs as well. It also doesnt have that stupid cinavia protection built in like many sony players. Its basically another added layer of drm and we dont want drm on our players.
]
Cinavia is only an issue if you are the type of person who rents, rips and burns blu ray discs. Anyone who legally purchases or rents a blu ray and inserts it in a bd player with Cinavia will never even know it's there.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM

I dont buy stuff that has extra drm built in if you have a choice to purchase it. Nobody should. DRM is a virus.

I am just letting people know about added drm to sony players. Every consumer should have the right to know about added DRM to your products.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
I dont buy stuff that has extra drm built in if you have a choice to purchase it. Nobody should. DRM is a virus.

I am just letting people know about added drm to sony players. Every consumer should have the right to know about added DRM to your products.
Like most people give a toss about DRM and what copy protective devices are implemented into their players, unless, of course, you are doing something you shouldn't.

All new players are going to have Cinavia built in, not just Sony. Unless you buy a Dune, but even then I'm not sure if they'll be forced into it or not. Either way, unless you are pirating movies or renting, ripping and burning them (), it's of no importance to anyone. I'm sure nobody will even notice it (except for those I spoke of who obtain their movies illegally). DRM is a virus. Didn't Blondie write a song about that?

OP: sounds as if your player is in need of a replacement. Lots out there right now that are probably much better than the 350, and quite cheaper as well.