Goodbye Component - From Now On Only HDMI Will Do HD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-11-2011, 02:32 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Goodbye Component - From Now On Only HDMI Will Do HD

Analog video is on the way out. Blu-ray players and discs both will be limiting you to HDMI only in the future.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/a...ill-only-outp/
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 PM

Errmmm......

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...-via-hdmi.html
Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Will PS3 still output HD via component or will Sony remove that in a future Firmware update as well?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM

excuse my HD unawareness but if someone has a PS3 connected by composite cables, can they still play and watch blu-ray movies? and assuming this works, would it also work on a regular tube television or does blu-ray only play on HD sets? i realize the image would obviously not be HD but just curious.

i ask because recently offered to lend my friend my Lost collection but realized after that she doesnt have component cables and while she does have an HD tv, the one she'd likely use is a regular tube television.

i figure you fine folks would have an answer. :P
Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
excuse my HD unawareness but if someone has a PS3 connected by composite cables, can they still play and watch blu-ray movies? and assuming this works, would it also work on a regular tube television or does blu-ray only play on HD sets? i realize the image would obviously not be HD but just curious.

i ask because recently offered to lend my friend my Lost collection but realized after that she doesnt have component cables and while she does have an HD tv, the one she'd likely use is a regular tube television.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Realize the picture quality is going to be "terrible" in comparison to a blu ray played over component or HDMI.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowspark View Post
Will PS3 still output HD via component or will Sony remove that in a future Firmware update as well?
This is also what I was wondering as well. If I had to bet on it....I would say Sony will, eventually, remove it via a firmware. Maybe someone else can be more concrete with their facts than I.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:37 PM

PS3 doesn't have component outputs, though. There is no reason for the PS3 to change at all in regards to this information, as it doesn't apply.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM

This is bad news for many people. My uncle has a 10 year old Projection screen. Nothing wrong with the screen, but no HDMI. We have his Blu-Ray player and Dish HD box hooked up via Component. I don't see him buying another 60 inch screen any time soon.

My old co-worker was an early HD fanboy, and got a HUGE 75 inch screen a few years back - the year before HDMI came out. He is running component.

My parent's set had been hooked up for two years over component. This past Christmas, I bought them a Roku. After messing with it, the Blu-Ray, and the PS3 for about half a day, I finally realized that there was a bug in the television's HDMI, limiting it to 16x9 at 480p only. If you take it up above that, it squishes to 4x3. Really annoying, especially since the Roku doesn't support component. They are currently limited to 480p.

As all the movies I have bought in the past 4 years have been HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, I finally bought a Blu-Ray player for the bedroom. I have an old SD tube television in there, and I don't see myself upgrading that any time soon - its perfect for the time being. Its hooked up via component. However, as it only does 480i anyways, the limiting of resolution over analogue doesn't really affect me there.

At the church, we have some LONG cable runs. I am running DVI to the projector, and we are currently (don't shoot me) running coax to a television in another room. Yeah, I yelled and screamed when they did it, but finally found out it was because we had about 5,000 feet of coax laying around that wasn't being used. We are PROBABLY going to replace that with a DVI to HDMI cable soon.

Point is, I don't think customers will respond well to this HDMI only thing. If players don't offer outputs in the format that customers need, customers will take their business elsewhere.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
PS3 doesn't have component outputs, though. There is no reason for the PS3 to change at all in regards to this information, as it doesn't apply.
Yeah it does. Was running mine through Component up until about six months ago.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post

Yeah, it will work. However, if the menus have fine writing, or if she is hooking it up via comosite instead of component, she may have trouble reading menus and subtitles. But it works just fine, I have done it several times.