Worth purchasing a Region Free Blu-ray player? Any suggestions? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Default Worth purchasing a Region Free Blu-ray player? Any suggestions?

Happy Holidays!

I was snowed in last night enjoying some new Blu's I received and browsing Amazon UK and France and started thinking about picking up a region free Blu-ray player so I can watch some of these European-only releases.

My question is two fold. First, is it worth it to pick up a region free player? Second, are they any suggestions on what model is a good pick?

I saw Sherwood on Amazon and Best Buy has the Insignia for fairly good prices. I definitely do not want to break the bank. I am looking for something that will be in the $100-$250 range and does not require a mod. I don't mind a simple numerical hack if it is needed but I would just like to hook it up and go.

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM

Yes, IMO it's practically essential to own a region free player these days. Otherwise you're missing out on a literal world of film and seriously limiting yourself. I suppose a question worth asking would be how much of a cinephile are you as well as how many European (and otherwise) releases are you interested in? Still, at this point in the format I can't see a good enough reason to not be region free; especially at these prices.

About two weeks ago I purchased the Sherwood-5004 from Amazon and shortly thereafter it stopped reading discs on/off and made a loud, clunking sound when trying to load. I called Sherwood, they said it was a hardware problem and to return the item to Amazon. I did so, then used the $140 to buy two Insignias. The NS-WBRDVD2 (was $89 now $129) and the NS-WBRDVD4 (was $75 now $89). Between those two Insignias I'd say it just depends on how much you want to spend. They both do practically the same thing but the NS-WBRDVD2 has more features than the NS-WBRDVD4, although the NS-WBRDVD4 is a real solid player.

(Note: Both the Sherwood and Insignias have nearly identical menus; if the Sherwood's firmware is updated it removes the region free option. The Insignias require a 5 digit remote hack that needs to be entered only once and activates a DVD and BD region menu.)

Thread with links here: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...on-bd-dvd.html

Welcome to a world without regional limitations.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Thank you for the information. I think I will go with the Insignia with the internal wifi. I remember having to buy a multi region SD player years ago so this does not come as much of a surprise.

Now I just have to deal with the crappy conversion rate for the US dollar and overseas shipping prices.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 AM

I just came across what appears to be a good deal on a Sherwood region-free player. I created a thread for it a few minutes ago here: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...9-buy-com.html

It's $109.99 at Buy.com here in the U.S. I think that's a good deal for anyone looking for a region-free player. They also have a 3-year extended warranty plan that costs $16.99 which sounds cheap enough to me.

Hope I helped you.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks Anubis. I will check that out. My birthday is next week so I will inform the wife