Sony BDP-S350 on strike due to firmware-update - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:14 AM

Question Sony BDP-S350 on strike due to firmware-update

Hello everyone!

Maybe someone has a good idea: my Sony BDP-S350 went on strike yesterday when I tried to update the firmware (V009 to V021) using a CD-R. It did recognize the update file and started the process fine but then the display wouldn't stop blinking with "UPV-0/9" and after three hours, I knew something had gone wrong.
I couldn't turn off the device and the tray wouldn't open either so I finally pulled the plug. When plugging it back in a few hours later, the same text came up blinking in the display.
It all started when I wanted to play the BluRay FANTASIA. The introduction and the trailers worked but the movie itself wouldn't start. When sticking the same disc into my PS3, it worked fine...
Does anyone know an emergency-release for the disc-tray (as we know from our PC drives) ? Couldn't find a hole to stick a wire in... (?)

Maybe some other idea from your side?

Maybe I'll have to send the thing in, it's not even two years old.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Best regards

Michael (msx2plus)
Old 12-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Just curious... when you make your firmware disc what speed do you rip them at? I have found burning them at anything above 1X causes problems (Bricked an HD DVD player burning one at 8X luckily Toshiba warrantied it back int he day)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 AM

Hello DjfunkmasterG,
that thought had occured to me too, I guess the burning speed was more than 1x since I applied the standard rate of that software (ImgBurn). On the other hand, I never encountered any problems with burned CD's so why should this device (BDP-S350) have an issue with error-correction?
And even if that's the problem, how do I get the disc out of the drive in order to try otherwise?
Thanks for your reply anyway... any help is welcome here.
Best regards
Michael
Old 12-31-2010, 03:58 PM

I seem to recall a number of folks who have had problems making firmware update discs for Sony players due to Sony changing from providing an image to be burned to a cd-r, to providing files to be written to a cd-r. Imgburn is a very reliable program, and I doubt the write speed is the issue, in this case (btw, I always choose a speed mid-way in the range of the player and media, so 16x media gets burned at 8x). The file format of the disc might be an issue. I recently burned a firmware update disc for an older Panasonic player for a friend at work. This update required burning a file to disc (ie. not an image). The instructions stressed setting the file format of the disc to ISO9660 (ie. NOT ISO9660+Joliet, etc.). I chose ISO9660 only and the disc I made for her worked perfectly. I wonder if these Sony firmware update discs need to be strictly ISO9660 also.

You might do some further reading/research in the AVS or Blu-Ray.com forums to learn how others addressed the problem you have. I believe one successful approach required ordering a firmware update disc from Sony, and then taking the player apart to swap out the malfunctioning disc with the provided one. Then reassembling and plugging the player back in with the new disc inside. I seem to recall the successful person saw his player pick up where it had left off and continued properly this time.

I never had a problem creating firmware update discs in the past, burning an image to a cd-r. I updated my Sony blu-ray players with new firmware, but did it via the internet connection after failing in my attempt to update via disc using this new Sony file writing approach. Fortunately, my player just rejected the firmware disc without locking up. The internet update approach worked fine.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 PM

I gave up trying to burn a disc and phoned Sony support to request an update disc. I have used Imgburn in the past, but somehow this last update was different. On my S550, I got a stuck disc, and VUP 0/9 flashing.

When you receive your disc, you will have to take your blu-ray apart, as the eject hole is on the side and not the front. Eject the disc and put in the new disc. Plug in the player, the update should resume and you will see VUP 0/9 through 9/9 (finish). I believe the player then shuts off itself. Power back on and remove the update disc. Power off, unplug and reassemble.........All should be good.

Read niveki's posts regarding your bdp-s350

http://www.fixya.com/support/t627663...uring_firmware

GOOD LUCK. I was one of the successful ones who thought they had bricked their player and brought it back to life.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Hello all,
thanks for your advice. After reading that I had obviously not been the only one to encounter this exact problem, I sent the device back to the online-dealer that sold it in the first place. They should have it fixed and then send it back to me.
Best regards
Michael
Closed Thread