Oppo Reveals the BDP-95 Audiophile Blu-ray Player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Oppo Reveals the BDP-95 Audiophile Blu-ray Player

It's set for a February release, but price is still a mystery.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/
Old 12-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Is 7.1 analog really that much better than from HDMI ? everything else the same ?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonthomasdesigns View Post
Is 7.1 analog really that much better than from HDMI ? everything else the same ?
My Samsung 6500 has 7.1 analog. Its not better, it just helps people who don't have HDMI receivers or...even better, run seperate amps for all their speakers!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Now don't quote me on this but as I understand it, using the analog outs on this player would be better than hdmi because the player is more than likely to have a better dac than the one in your current receiver, unless you have a very expensive high end one. The player would be handling the audio conversion to analog and then send that to your receiver which then pushes it out to your speakers. I don't know if its possible to use the dac in the player with hdmi. Perhaps someone can answer this.
BTW: would this be sort of like the BDP-83 se to the BDP-93?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 PM

I think people who buy this player (approx $1,000) will already own a receiver with kick-ass DACs such as Pioneer Elite with their Wolfson DACs or any other receiver with also high-end DACs.

Furthermore, most receivers will NOT apply their acoustic calibration when 7.1 analog input is used.

The only thing that this player have it going is the SABRE32 Reference DAC (just for the 2-ch analog out).

I've cancelled my 93 pre-ordered and moved it to 95, though. With hope that by using this player I can consolidate my BDP-09 and PD-D9 (both running Wolfson DACs in dual-differential mode)
Old 12-23-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NERV View Post
No. The news article, I found, was a bit unclear on this matter. The BDP-95 is not a BDP-93SE, it is an entirely new model, built from the ground up to be an audiophile Blu-ray player.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:27 PM

yup..built from the money that people gave them for the unfinished 93 player.Took that money, had people do their homework for them and financed the building of the 95 at your expense.I really like my 83 player,May built, but i dislike what happened with the 93 and the early release of the 83 .Some may say they like being beta testers, but if you don't mind donating 500 bucks just so you can brag, hey I helped them make it work, then i got a bridge for sale.

IMO..if it don't work, don't sell it...and of course..don't buy it.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:19 AM

I don't know what you're on about. Oppo always has these beta testing programs. They're completely voluntary for those who want the player early.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NERV View Post
Now don't quote me on this but as I understand it, using the analog outs on this player would be better than hdmi because the player is more than likely to have a better dac than the one in your current receiver, unless you have a very expensive high end one. The player would be handling the audio conversion to analog and then send that to your receiver which then pushes it out to your speakers. I don't know if its possible to use the dac in the player with hdmi. Perhaps someone can answer this.
You have been quoted on this!

I think the real appeal is for stereo capabilities: an audiophile looking to replace a DVD-A/SACD player, or even just a CD player, with a unit that also does Blu-ray. The balanced outs are a testament to that.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:05 AM

voluntary..yeah for those that know it's an unfinished player..some that bought it did not.There is no excuse for it,can you imagine if every bd player from every manufacturer came that way.Blu would come to faster stop than Red did.
No..if you want someone to test and help you out ,the player should be free...you charge them 500 bucks if they decide to keep the player after the work is done, maybe even 250 for they are actually an employee and entitled to a discount

Oppo really needs to understand that at the price they charge and all the specs of what the player has and can do,that player HAS TO BE CONSUMER READY from day one.AND NOT a player that might be able to work and do all we say it can do but not for awhile if ever since we are still experimenting and you are the lab rat.