BD Audio playback: Coax/Optical or Analog 5.1? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 AM
osmodiarshazbot's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 438
Default BD Audio playback: Coax/Optical or Analog 5.1?

I am trying to determine what will sound better. If I go separate channels through RCA to my reciever via a BDPS300, or go coax/optical to my recievcer. From what I understand, the uncompressed might not sound as good over analog? I have a Sony STRDA5000ES reciever capable of doing both. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmodiarshazbot View Post
I am trying to determine what will sound better. If I go separate channels through RCA to my reciever via a BDPS300, or go coax/optical to my recievcer. From what I understand, the uncompressed might not sound as good over analog? I have a Sony STRDA5000ES reciever capable of doing both. Any suggestions?
If you want an uncompressed PCM soundtrack, you have to use either HDMI or 5.1 analog. A coax/optical cable does not have enough bandwidth to carry that type of signal. The same applies to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

If a disc has just standard DD5.1 or DTS 5.1, a coax or optical cable will be fine.
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Ferrari Fan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmodiarshazbot View Post
I am trying to determine what will sound better. If I go separate channels through RCA to my reciever via a BDPS300, or go coax/optical to my recievcer. From what I understand, the uncompressed might not sound as good over analog? I have a Sony STRDA5000ES reciever capable of doing both. Any suggestions?

I have my Sammy BD-P1200 hooked up with BOTH the 5.1 analog and digital coax ( I don't have an HDMI input on my reciever). If a movie has un-compressed 5.1 PCM, then I use that. If not, then I use my digital coax. In my opinion....and most others ....PCM is way better than DD or DTS.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2007, 07:11 PM
osmodiarshazbot's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari Fan View Post
I have my Sammy BD-P1200 hooked up with BOTH the 5.1 analog and digital coax ( I don't have an HDMI input on my reciever). If a movie has un-compressed 5.1 PCM, then I use that. If not, then I use my digital coax. In my opinion....and most others ....PCM is way better than DD or DTS.
Thanks for your reply! How does it display on your reciever when it's 5.1 analog? Is it a big difference in AQ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Ferrari Fan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmodiarshazbot View Post
Thanks for your reply! How does it display on your reciever when it's 5.1 analog? Is it a big difference in AQ?
On my reciever, Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX, it says "multi channel in" As far as the audio quality. It's much better than DD or DTS as it's uncompressed. Sounds much fuller and richer and dialog is also clearer than DD or DTS. But it all depends on your own taste. Try it and see. You can always buy the 6 cables ( 5.1 ) and if you don't care for the analog 5.1...return the cables. Also, no need to go buy big $$$ cables. Just buy some decent quality ones.

Try Radio Shack here....http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Best Buy.....http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384698663
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
optical & coax v. analog sprinto Home Theater Gear 2 02-06-2008 11:35 AM
optical & digital coax v. multichannel analog sprinto Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 1 02-06-2008 09:21 AM
DVD audio optical out to 5.1 analog in (to receiver) 77 vette Home Theater Gear 4 01-03-2008 05:04 PM
5.1 analog vs HDMI vs Optical dBock General Discussion: Both Formats 6 11-04-2007 05:03 PM
Optical or Digital Coax? thestaton Home Theater Gear 3 09-01-2007 05:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off