Sony BDP-S300 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Sony BDP-S300

I just bought this unit, and it claimsin the owners manual that it will decode Dolby True HD (Ghost Rider), but I can't tell if it is actually doing it or not.

I have two questions, first off, is 5.1 uncompressed audio track considered lossless, or is it just Dolby True HD and DTS-HDMA?

I just had a discussion with Sony's Tech support online, that was fun... fun fun fun.... unfortunately it left me more confused.

Read this.

user Nick has entered room

analyst Stefan. has entered room

Nick> Hello.

Stefan.> Hi Nick. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Stefan. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Stefan.> I understand that you want want to Decode DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD. Is this correct?

Stefan.> I will be glad to assist you with your concern.

Nick> I want to know if the unit decodes these through the 5.1 output on the back without downsampling.

Stefan.> No, it is not possible to decode the DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD .

Stefan.> As Sony does not manufacture HD DVD player.

Nick> That's not the question.

Nick> I want to know if the Blu-Ray BDPS300 player will decode the DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD audio tracks without downsampling through the 5.1 outputs on the back of the unit.

Nick> DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD are Audio tracks that are available on Blu-Ray discs.

Stefan.> No, it will not decode through 5.1 ouput.

Nick> But the book says it will decode Dolby True HD, I need to know if it downsamples.

Stefan.> Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.

Nick> Is this an acutal person, or an automated response system?

Stefan.> Yes, we are live persons.

Nick> Okay.

Nick> If you are a live person, why can't you read the problem and answer the question?

Stefan.> Yes. However, the sound quality is the same as conventional DTS audio sound because the player does not support DTS-HDSM decoding or HDMI bitstream output.

Nick> What about the Dolby True HD?

Stefan.> I would like to forward a link to a page where you can find the information related your dolby issue.

"Can't post the link due to being a brand new person on this board, but the link told me how to hook up Stereo Pro-Logic"

Stefan.> When you receive the link please click on it to open the page and let me know if you are able to view it.

Nick> I viewed the page, and it's about Dolby ProLogic, not Dolby True HD. I just want to know if the Dolby True HD is downsampled.

Stefan.> No, it will not downsampled as it will not support Dolby true HD also.

Nick> Is this through the 5.1 output or bistream?

Stefan.> No.

Stefan.> It is not possible.

Nick> But the owners manual says it does Dolby True HD.

Stefan.> As i have exhausted all my resources and I didn't find that it supports Dolby true HD.

Stefan.> Are we connected?

Nick> Yes.

Stefan.> As i have exhausted all my resources and I didn't find that it supports Dolby true HD.

Nick> So this unit does not support lossless audio?

Stefan.> Yes.

Nick> It does or does not?

Stefan.> No, it will not support lossless audio.

Nick> Ah, thank you. Why is this not in the owners manual then?

Stefan.> I apologize for that.

Stefan.> If you need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Stefan.> Is there anything else I may assist you with today?

Nick> I can't take any more of this.

Stefan.> It was pleasure chatting with you today.

Stefan.> Have a wonderful day ahead!

Can anyone help?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:29 PM

Don't believe anything in the manual. Search the different threads about this unit.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
I just bought this unit, and it claimsin the owners manual that it will decode Dolby True HD (Ghost Rider), but I can't tell if it is actually doing it or not.

I have two questions, first off, is 5.1 uncompressed audio track considered lossless, or is it just Dolby True HD and DTS-HDMA?

I just had a discussion with Sony's Tech support online, that was fun... fun fun fun.... unfortunately it left me more confused.

Read this.

user Nick has entered room

analyst Stefan. has entered room

Nick> Hello.

Stefan.> Hi Nick. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Stefan. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Stefan.> I understand that you want want to Decode DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD. Is this correct?

Stefan.> I will be glad to assist you with your concern.

Nick> I want to know if the unit decodes these through the 5.1 output on the back without downsampling.

Stefan.> No, it is not possible to decode the DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD .

Stefan.> As Sony does not manufacture HD DVD player.

Nick> That's not the question.

Nick> I want to know if the Blu-Ray BDPS300 player will decode the DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD audio tracks without downsampling through the 5.1 outputs on the back of the unit.

Nick> DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD are Audio tracks that are available on Blu-Ray discs.

Stefan.> No, it will not decode through 5.1 ouput.

Nick> But the book says it will decode Dolby True HD, I need to know if it downsamples.

Stefan.> Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.

Nick> Is this an acutal person, or an automated response system?

Stefan.> Yes, we are live persons.

Nick> Okay.

Nick> If you are a live person, why can't you read the problem and answer the question?

Stefan.> Yes. However, the sound quality is the same as conventional DTS audio sound because the player does not support DTS-HDSM decoding or HDMI bitstream output.

Nick> What about the Dolby True HD?

Stefan.> I would like to forward a link to a page where you can find the information related your dolby issue.

"Can't post the link due to being a brand new person on this board, but the link told me how to hook up Stereo Pro-Logic"

Stefan.> When you receive the link please click on it to open the page and let me know if you are able to view it.

Nick> I viewed the page, and it's about Dolby ProLogic, not Dolby True HD. I just want to know if the Dolby True HD is downsampled.

Stefan.> No, it will not downsampled as it will not support Dolby true HD also.

Nick> Is this through the 5.1 output or bistream?

Stefan.> No.

Stefan.> It is not possible.

Nick> But the owners manual says it does Dolby True HD.

Stefan.> Are we connected?

Nick> Yes.

Nick> So this unit does not support lossless audio?

Stefan.> Yes.

Nick> It does or does not?

Stefan.> No, it will not support lossless audio.

Nick> Ah, thank you. Why is this not in the owners manual then?

Stefan.> I apologize for that.

Stefan.> Is there anything else I may assist you with today?

Nick> I can't take any more of this.

Stefan.> It was pleasure chatting with you today.

Stefan.> Have a wonderful day ahead!

Can anyone help?
It's BS, another guy with a similar name said that it did decode DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD.
"Stevan. > Hi John . Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Stevan. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.
John Schmidt > hello?
Stevan. > Thanks for waiting. I understand that you want to know whether BD player DTS HD master audio. Is that correct?
John Schmidt > I want to know if the BDP-S300 can decode DTS-HD Master Audio because I own Fantastic Four and X-Men that have DTS-HD Master Audio and on my receiver it shows DTS
Stevan. > Thanks for confirmation and further information.
Stevan. > Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.
Stevan. > Please stay online while I check this information for you.
John Schmidt > ok
Stevan. > Thanks, John.
Stevan. > Thanks for waiting.
Stevan. > This player BDPS300 is capable of decoding the DTS-HD Master audio.
John Schmidt > will it decode the full track or downscale to "core" DTS?
Stevan. > It will decode the full track.
John Schmidt > one more question
Stevan. > Sure, John.
John Schmidt > can the BDP-S300 output Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio as a bitstream, or is it limited to internal decoding and output as PCM?
Stevan. > Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.
Stevan. > Thanks for waiting, John.
Stevan. > It limited to internal decoding and output as LPCM"
Old 06-30-2007, 01:23 AM

UGHHH! They don't understand what DTS-HD Master Audio is , they keep saying DTS HDSM??? More frustration, no answers.
LiveAssist Transcript

Problem : I was wondering if the unit can decode DTS-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD
Gary. > Hi John. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Gary. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.
Gary. > Thanks for waiting, John. Iíll be happy to assist you in providing information about the compatibility of the DTS-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD with your Blu-ray disc Player.
Gary. > Please stay online while I check this information for you.
John > ok
Gary. > Thank you, John.
John > HELLO???
Gary. > I am with you, John.
Gary. > I'm still checking. Thanks for your patience.
Gary. > Thanks for waiting, John.
Gary. > You Blu-ray disc Player is compatibel with the DTS-Master Sound. However, the sound quality is the same as conventional DTS audio sound because the player does not support DTS-HDSM decoding or HDMI bitstream output.
John > what is DTS- Master Sound?
John > Do you mean DTS-Master Audio?
Gary. > The Blu-ray Disc (BD) player can output Dolby Surround Pro Logic audio using the two channel outputs on the player. Follow these steps to set up the player to output the Dolby Surround Pro Logic signal.
Gary. > Yes, John.
John > I am not interested in Pro Logic, I wanted to know if it decoded Dolby TrueHD
John > Is this a live person or a automated response?
Gary. > John, I am live person.
John > Can it decode Dolby TrueHD
Gary. > Yes, your Blu-ray disc Player decodes Dolby True HD audio.

John > thanks
Gary. > You are welcome, John.
Gary. > Is there anything else that I may assist you with today?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 AM

Sony doesn't know what the hell they have. I was seriously thinking about this one. No thanks Sony!
Old 06-30-2007, 04:58 AM

Default BDPS300 Tested Extensively This Evening

Alright, here is what I can tell your for certain about the BDP-S300.

It DOES decode DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, and Dolby True HD. I have tested the tracks. I have a DTS-HD Master Audio demo disc, and Ghost Rider for Dobly True HD.

However, what I wanted to know was.... Is it decoding the soundtrack losslessly, or is it only using the standard Dolby Digital and DTS core data, and then decoding it?

So now I am wondering if the tech support guy was trying to tell me that this unit doesn't support a Dolby True HD or DTS-HDMA Bitstream through the Digital Coax, Optical, or HDMI.

According to Dolby True HD's FAQ, all you need to get Dolby True HD is a Reciever with am HDMI input that supports multi-channel PCM or an external multi-channel input.

DTS's Web Site states: In order to get DTS-HDMA with an existing receiver...
"In this scenario, the high definition player will output DTS-HD Audio through the analog outputs of the player to your AV Receiver. The DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS-HD High Resolution will be decoded by the player and sent out as analog audio signals to the AV Receiver. You would Simply connect 6, 7, or 8 RCA cables from the analog outputs of the player to the analog inputs on your AV Receiver. The number of analog cables will be determined by the number of analog output/inputs on the player and receiver. The analog signals will go directly to the receiver's amplifier section. In this way you can enjoy DTS-HD Master Audio that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master."

So, what I need to know is... Does the BDPS300 only decode the Core data from the DTHD and DTS-HDMA tracks to it's internal 5.1 pre-outs, or does it decode the whole thing?

Now, I have the BDP-S300 and I have it connected with the 5.1 multi-channel Pre-outs to the multi-channel input on my reciever, and the sound is incredible. BTW Check out the DTS-HDMA of Omar Hakim's Listen Up

And now a crappy joke for all you audiophiles out there: I can throw a microphone in the middle of the room and record the sound on a micro-cassette recorder, then drop it on my PC, and encode a 32k Mono MP3, and then upload it so everyone can hear what it sounds like! Or better yet, I can send it over a cell phone to your voice mail!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 AM

Trust me, It doesn't do it ok. We've been round and round regarding this, as have the users at AVS forum.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
So, what I need to know is... Does the BDPS300 only decode the Core data from the DTHD and DTS-HDMA tracks to it's internal 5.1 pre-outs, or does it decode the whole thing?
It only decodes the core Dolby or DTS tracks. Full lossless decoding may be added with a future firmware.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
"Uncompressed" and "lossless" amount to the same quality, but get there in different methods. Uncompressed literally uses no compression at all. Lossless is compressed, but in a way that can be bit-for-bit reconstructed to the original signal without loss.

The clearest example of this I've heard came from Amir at Microsoft. Let's say you have a movie with 1 hour of audio and 1 hour of complete dead silence. The uncompressed track will encode data for the entire thing, with the silent portion of the bitstream filled with 0s that eat up space. So it looks something like this:

The lossless track will drop all the zeroes to save space. Instead, it uses flags to tell it that if a spot is empty, that should be filled with a zero when decoded. So the bitstream looks like this:

11_1_111_11_1_111_11____________________

Which takes up much less room. But when played back, the decoder fills in the zeroes so it looks like this again:

Audibly, the results are 100% identical.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Trust me, It doesn't do it ok. We've been round and round regarding this, as have the users at AVS forum.
He's right. We've both examining this unit.