The Denon DBP-4010UDCI has a better sound quality compared to the $899 OPPO BDP-83SE - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

Default The Denon DBP-4010UDCI has a better sound quality compared to the $899 OPPO BDP-83SE

Denon DBP-4010UDCI Blu-ray player (July 2010 Home Theater magazine review)

The $1,999 Denon DBP-4010UDCI Blu-ray player has better quality analog audio outputs when compared to the $899 OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition player. For those looking for the best sound quality when using the analog outputs then the Denon DVD-A1UDCI and Denon DBP-4010UDCI are the best available Blu-ray universal players that play SACD's and DVD-Audio discs.

What is disappointing is only the analog outputs are Denon's strong points. A $499 OPPO BDP-83 has faster disc loading time and a better video processor when compared to the Denon DBP-4010UDCI. When it comes to DVD playback the OPPO BDP-83 handles standard 2:2 cadence issues better. The Denon failed that video test. Another disappointment is the Denon DBP-4010UDCI lacks 1GB of internal memory for BD-LIVE. Pioneers top of the line BDP-09FD Blu-ray player includes 4GB of internal memory and the $499 OPPO BDP-83 includes 1GB of internal memory for BD-LIVE. I am surprised that a $4,500 and $2,000 Denon BLU-RAY player would lack any internal memory and require consumers to go purchase a external SD card in order to use the BD-LIVE feature. Denon makes high quality Blu-ray players with a good build quality, hopefully the future Denon models coming out around August 2010 well offer improvements.

The following are select quotes from the July 2010 Home Theater magazine review
(Review located on pages 44-46)

"Slow disc access and load times."

"Reference-quality picture and sound"

"Anchor Bay video processing"

"Like its predecessor, it doesn't include any local storage, so you'll have to shell out a few bucks for an SD card."

"It sailed through the bulk of our tests, which indicates that you can expect excellent, full-resolution performance from Blu-ray Discs and DVDs alike. It only hiccupped with standard-definition 2:2 cadences. This will only effect some DVD material. But it's odd given that OPPO's BDP-83, which also uses an Anchor Bay solution, passes this test."

"Things improve considerably once you've completed the initial setup, but this player is slow to boot-up discs, especially Java-intensive Blu-rays, compared with many other players on the market."

"With my SACDs, the Denon seemed to open up more inner detail and widened the gap between redbook CDs and high resolution more than the admittedly excellent Special Edition OPPO."

"The OPPO was very impressive and held its own, but I ultimately preferred the Denon's warmer, richer sound and its higher resolution of detail with my SACDs."

The Home Theater magazine review for the Denon DBP-4010UDCI has just became available online.
http://hometheatermag.com/discplayers/denon_dbp-4010udci_blu-ray_player/index.html

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 06-29-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added weblink that was just released
Old 06-13-2010, 10:05 AM

I suppose it's nice to know that you get something for the $1100 extra.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:36 PM

The thread title should read better analog audio output according to Home Theater Magazine. Of course even that would be misleading since the review actually seems to prefer the Oppo player overall.

Chris
Old 06-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Yeah, ANALOG that's all, only for about 0.00000001% of all Blu-ray player's owners.

I'll stick with my Oppo BDP-83 for only $499 and use the digital HDMI connections just like the vast majority of people thank you very much.

If some rich people cannot afford to buy a newer receiver or pre/pro with HDMI connectors, something's very wrong with them, in my humble opinion.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
Yeah, ANALOG that's all, only for about 0.00000001% of all Blu-ray player's owners.

I'll stick with my Oppo BDP-83 for only $499 and use the digital HDMI connections just like the vast majority of people thank you very much.

If some rich people cannot afford to buy a newer receiver or pre/pro with HDMI connectors, something's very wrong with them, in my humble opinion.
Honestly, I think they prefer analog because they think it's better. You know, the jitter of HDMI keeps them awake at night. The pain caused by hearing a single bit of jitter is just excruciating!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:45 AM

Yup, I have great suspicion of claims by self-proclaimed audiophiles. Only way to objectively verify their claims is by way of double blind testing.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:

I disagree with the last statement. I have a Rotel RSP 1068, which is by no means an audiophile grade pre-pro, but it cost me a good amount of money. I don't see a reason to spend another $2,000 for the HDMI-enabled equivalent. With this same thought in mind, people who spend upwards of $5-10K are probably that much more reluctant to do the same. If I just had a $400 avr, then I would have upgraded to one with HDMI by now (but that is not the case for many people who put a small furtune into their equipment). I guess this also serves as a rebuttal to those who think that we only like analog because we have a bug up our asses (though many do ). It also depends on where the better D-to-A conversion can take place. If the player has a better DAC than the avr or pre-pro, wouldn't you want the conversion done there?

I will most likely wait until there is a new line of 3D-ready pre-pros to come to the market as that will drive the price down of many current models which support HDMI. Hopefully this comes soon, cables are expensive.

Still, as most pointed out, the Oppo BDP-83SE still seems like the better bargain if not the 83.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnesta8 View Post
I disagree with the last statement. I have a Rotel RSP 1068, which is by no means an audiophile grade pre-pro, but it cost me a good amount of money. I don't see a reason to spend another $2,000 for the HDMI-enabled equivalent. With this same thought in mind, people who spend upwards of $5-10K are probably that much more reluctant to do the same. If I just had a $400 avr, then I would have upgraded to one with HDMI by now (but that is not the case for many people who put a small furtune into their equipment). I guess this also serves as a rebuttal to those who think that we only like analog because we have a bug up our asses (though many do ). It also depends on where the better D-to-A conversion can take place. If the player has a better DAC than the avr or pre-pro, wouldn't you want the conversion done there?

I will most likely wait until there is a new line of 3D-ready pre-pros to come to the market as that will drive the price down of many current models which support HDMI. Hopefully this comes soon, cables are expensive.

Still, as most pointed out, the Oppo BDP-83SE still seems like the better bargain if not the 83.
Hey, go ahead, be my guest, and spend your money where you wish it should be spent. It's a free country, and NOBODY is going to stop you!

That being said, what are you waiting for to get with the program?
Your Rotel pre/pro is a very nice unit, but fall somehow short behind the latest technology. ...But if you're still in love with it, which I think you truly are and I respect that; then get the Oppo BDP-83SE with a great Stereo analog audio section that gives you 4 DACs per channel!
Plus all the other great benefits of the Oppo BDP-83; Superb BD picture quality, great DVD upscaling, SACD, DVD-Audio, HDCD, Video adjusts, and all that cool Jazz.

* If I was in your situation with that nice Rotel 1068 pre/pro, I'd get the 83SE, a much better value in your particular case. And don't thank me yet, but I know you will later!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Hey, go ahead, be my guest, and spend your money where you wish it should be spent. It's a free country, and NOBODY is going to stop you!

That being said, what are you waiting for to get with the program?
Your Rotel pre/pro is a very nice unit, but fall somehow short behind the latest technology. ...But if you're still in love with it, which I think you truly are and I respect that; then get the Oppo BDP-83SE with a great Stereo analog audio section that gives you 4 DACs per channel!
Plus all the other great benefits of the Oppo BDP-83; Superb BD picture quality, great DVD upscaling, SACD, DVD-Audio, HDCD, Video adjusts, and all that cool Jazz.

* If I was in your situation with that nice Rotel 1068 pre/pro, I'd get the 83SE, a much better value in your particular case. And don't thank me yet, but I know you will later!
As of now I have the Oppo 80, and just bought a house, so I don't think I will upgrading anytime soon, but trust me, I want too. If I can spend the money, I will probably be putting it into a DAC now anyway.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:37 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnesta8 View Post
As of now I have the Oppo 80, and just bought a house, so I don't think I will upgrading anytime soon, but trust me, I want too. If I can spend the money, I will probably be putting it into a DAC now anyway.
That's cool man that you got the BDP-80.

* We all wish to have more money: a bigger mansion, a learjet, a bigger cruising boat, all the women/girls, all the Blu-rays (about 5,000 of them including all the imports/exports plus various materials...), nice cars, trucks, italian suits, diamonds, the biggest private home IMAX theater, a $10,000,000.00 dollar sound system, with an IMAX 16K front projector (do they make those yet?), and several condos and country houses spreaded all over the most exotic places in the world! ...Did I miss something?