Sony analyst claims BDP-S300 supports DTS-HD Master Audio - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Sony analyst claims BDP-S300 supports DTS-HD Master Audio

If you have an S300, could you please try to test this. Transcript of conversation with Sony analyst:
"Stevan. > Hi John . Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Stevan. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.
John Schmidt > hello?
Stevan. > Thanks for waiting. I understand that you want to know whether BD player DTS HD master audio. Is that correct?
John Schmidt > I want to know if the BDP-S300 can decode DTS-HD Master Audio because I own Fantastic Four and X-Men that have DTS-HD Master Audio and on my receiver it shows DTS
Stevan. > Thanks for confirmation and further information.
Stevan. > Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.
Stevan. > Please stay online while I check this information for you.
John Schmidt > ok
Stevan. > Thanks, John.
Stevan. > Thanks for waiting.
Stevan. > This player BDPS300 is capable of decoding the DTS-HD Master audio.
John Schmidt > will it decode the full track or downscale to "core" DTS?
Stevan. > It will decode the full track.
John Schmidt > one more question
Stevan. > Sure, John.
John Schmidt > can the BDP-S300 output Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio as a bitstream, or is it limited to internal decoding and output as PCM?
Stevan. > Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.
Stevan. > Thanks for waiting, John.
Stevan. > It limited to internal decoding and output as LPCM"

I can only hope Sony picks up it's game and adds DTS-HD Master Audio support for the PS3, but I still have faith because of the cell broadband engine's power.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:50 AM

I dont see why the PS3 cant do it. Again, time will tell. I think around fall, you will see this added. Sony said every quarter, their looking to do some big updates for the PS3 so fall seems like it would be next
Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohn29 View Post
Quote:
> This player BDPS300 is capable of decoding the DTS-HD Master audio.

There it is......our NEW favorite word in the format wars......CAPABLE

Yes, it is capable. Does it actually do it. uhhhhhhhh, no
Old 06-26-2007, 11:22 AM

The guy said it decoded the full DTS-HD Master Audio track, not just the 1.5mbps DTS core that the PS3 does. If you guys want to ask yourselves, go here: http://chatsupport.sony.com/sdcxuser/asp/frameset.asp, then enter BDPS300(no colon).
Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The guy said it decoded the full DTS-HD Master Audio track, not just the 1.5mbps DTS core that the PS3 does. If you guys want to ask yourselves, go here: http://chatsupport.sony.com/sdcxuser/asp/frameset.asp, then enter BDPS300(no colon).
If your receiver is only showing DTS, then it's only pulling the core track out. As per the other part of what he said, it only outputs LPCM if it decodes internally.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
We don't need to ask him. He's wrong. Simple as that.

Look, at this point anyone who wants to believe that this device is CURRENTLY HDMI 1.3 compliant with all the evidence that has been presented to the contrary (professional reviews; AVS forum testimony, direct talks with Sony engineers, etc.) is simply a sucker plain and simple.

Last edited by Arkadin; 06-26-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Banned

Sounds more like a bot than a person responding there.

Also, be careful because DTS-HD MA might be mistaken for DTS-HD to those who don't know the difference.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:02 PM

Maybe that was the confusion, the guy thought I mean DTS-HD instead of DTS-HD Master Audio. I know for a fact that DTS-HD is decoded cuz it is in the manual, but it does not mention anything about DTS-HD Master Audio.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:25 PM

This thread should be renamed "Sony analyst is an idiot".
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Maybe that was the confusion, the guy thought I mean DTS-HD instead of DTS-HD Master Audio. I know for a fact that DTS-HD is decoded cuz it is in the manual, but it does not mention anything about DTS-HD Master Audio.
He probably was confused. I know most people at customer service call centers aren't usually the brightest or they just really don't know the product all that well. Next time you should probably just say DTS Master Audio, leave the HD out.

Last edited by Dwellon; 06-26-2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling