The Sony BDP-S570 is the new reference player for speed that beats the OPPO BDP-83 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

Default The Sony BDP-S570 is the new reference player for speed that beats the OPPO BDP-83

The Sony BDP-S570 is the new reference player for speed that beats the OPPO BDP-83, PS3, and all other existing standalone BLU-RAY players on the market when it comes to loading discs super fast. According to CNET, the new Sony BDP-S570 is so fast that it even is almost twice as fast at skipping chapters compared to the OPPO BDP-83. Sony has really improved on their BLU-RAY players with the new 2010 models. The $249.99 BDP-S570 offers SACD playback with internally decoding to PCM or using the native DSD bitstream over HDMI. The $179.99 BDP-S370 and $199.99 BDP-S470 also offer the SACD playback feature. The BDP-S570 and BDP-S470 offer 3-D 1080P BLU-RAY movie support with a future firmware upgrade. If one has a wired home network they can save $50 and go with the BDP-S470 which lacks built in WI-FI and lacks 1GB of internal memory for BD-LIVE.

The new BDP-S570 also has 1GB of internal memory for BD-LIVE which is a nice feature for mainstream consumers that want to use BD-LIVE. Other players like the BDP-S370 and BDP-S470 require external memory to be purchased.

** Overall the OPPO BDP-83 is a better player than the Sony BDP-S570 since the OPPO has a better video processor and plays DVD-Audio discs. But, the OPPO BDP-83 costs twice as much at $499 compared to the Sony BDP-S570 for $249.99. If one wants to own the fastest standalone BLU-RAY player currently on the market, wants to save $250, has no interest in DVD-Audio playback, and can handle a little less quality video processor then the Sony BDP-S570 might be the player you have been looking for. Sony players have a good history of being reliable and offering very good firmware updates for the latest new releases. **

It also should be noted that the new $650 Sony BDV-E770W and $550 Sony BDV-E570 BLU-RAY players that are integrated in a home theater complete system have 1GB of built in memory for BD-LIVE, play SACD's, and are 3D ready with a firmware update.
http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_room/consumer/home_video/blu-ray_disc/release/56400.html

Some nice features offered on the Sony BDP-S570 that are new features never available before on a Sony standalone BLU-RAY player:

1. The Sound and Vision magazine review claims the new Sony BDP-S570 will automatically convert film based 480I DVD's to 1080P/24 instead of just 1080P/60 with 3:2 pulldown. I could not find this feature listed in the Sony BDP-S570 manual. Further verification is needed to verify if the new 2010 Sony's offer a 24fps DVD feature.

2. Built in 1GB of memory for BD-LIVE. This is another nice feature that can be found in the BDP-S570. All prior Sony models that offered BD-LIVE required external memory to be purchased.

3. Super Audio Compact Disc playback. All Sony 2010 models are supporting SACD playback. This is another nice feature.

4. Sony BDP-S570 supports full 1080P 3-D BLU-RAY movies with a future firmware update.

The following are select quotes from the April 2010 Sound and Vision magazine review

Click here to read a complete review on the Sony BDP-S570 at the Sound and Vision magazine website

"Unlike previous standalone Sony BD players, the BDP-S570 can also play high-rez SACDs. If you’re an audiophile who happens to own a few of those, you’ll be interested to know that, along with internally decoding the SACD DSD signal to multichannel PCM for output via HDMI, Sony’s player can also pass it on in bitstream format to a DSD-friendly A/V receiver or preamp."

"Perhaps the biggest newsflash on the BDPS570’ s feature front is that it’s 3D-ready: A firmware update scheduled for this summer will let you play 3D Blu-ray Discs and view them in that format on new, 3D-capable TVs. The Sony rep I spoke with said the player’s HDMI output is version 1.4 — although the company doesn’t label it as such, since it omits a few features offered in that version of the HDMI spec. (The new crop of 3D TVs and 3D-capable Blu-ray players coming out this year will feature HDMI 1.4 connections.) But he also went on to emphasize that the BDP-S570 will support full-rez, frame-sequential 1080p output from 3D discs once Sony’s firmware update gets installed."

"I left the Bluray 1080p/24 Output mode at the default Auto setting, which allows the player to automatically switch from 1080p/24 output for film-based programs (unlike many other Blu-ray players, the Sony can output a 1080p/24 signal with both Blu-ray Discs and DVDs) to 1080p/60 output for high-def content shot on video."

"The Sony’s power-up cycle proved to be an ultraspeedy 2 seconds — no time wasted waiting to insert discs with this baby. Disc loading ranged from 6 seconds for DVDs to 10 seconds for most Blu-ray titles, although BD-Live discs took longer."

"When I ran some Blu-ray test discs to evaluate the player’s handling of video-based 1080i-format material, its video processor didn’t vault over the test-pattern hurdles as nimbly as a Pioneer BDP-09 player that I compared it with — but that player costs 2 grand, whereas the Sony is $250."

"Unless you go looking — and looking really hard — for performance shortcomings, you’re unlikely to uncover any serious ones when viewing DVDs with the BDP-S570."

The following selected quotes are from the CNET review on the Sony BDP-S570

Click here to read a complete review on the Sony BDP-S570 at CNET website

"It's also the fastest player we've ever tested, handily beating out the Oppo BDP-83 on nearly all our operational speed tests."

"1GB of onboard storage gives the BDP-S570 a leg up over the competing LG BD570, and allows owners to access BD-Live features without needed a separate USB memory drive."

"We appreciated that Sony includes two USB ports (one front, one back), allowing you to make quick connections with the front port and have another drive connected more permanently, out of sight."

"The Sony BDP-S570's Blu-ray image quality is very good overall, image quality enthusiasts will find some minor issues. Yes, we'd rate the LG BD570 as marginally better, and the Oppo BDP-83 slightly superior to both, but the differences are tough to see even when you're looking for them, let alone when you're lost in a movie. We think nearly all buyers will be satisfied with the BDP-S570's image quality."

"The Sony BDP-S570 is the fastest Blu-ray player we've tested, beating out even the previous speed champ, the Oppo BDP-83. Part of this is due to the BDP-S570's quick start mode, which allows it to load a disc from the off position over 10 seconds faster than the competing LG players. It's also very quick to load movies with complex menu systems, such "Pirates of the Carribbean." The competing Panasonic DMP-BD80K takes nearly 25 seconds longer to get to the actual movie; the PS3 Slim takes 44 seconds longer. It's a noticeable difference, especially if everyone's anxious to start movie night."

"Where the BDP-S570 really shines is our chapter-skip test, where it's nearly twice as fast the Oppo BDP-83."
Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 PM

I am glad to read this, as this is the model I recommended to our step-daughter for purchase for our son-in-law's birthday. She tells me that so far, he is very pleased with the player. It is their very first blu-ray player.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Banned

It's amazing how fast technology changes. The PS3 use to be the fastest BLU-RAY player on the market but all that changed when the 2009 OPPO BDP-83 came out and with the several new models of 2010 BLU-RAY players. According to CNET the PS3 Slim is listed as the slowest Blu-ray player when compared to 5 other standalone players.

Current fastest BLU-RAY players according to CNET (1 being the fastest and 6 being the slowest)

1. Sony BDP-S570 (fastest)
2. OPPO BDP-83
3. LG BD570
4. Panasonic DMP-BD80K
5. Vizio VBR200W
6. PS3 Slim (slowest)

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/sony-bdp-s570/4505-9991_7-33971082-2.html?tag=txt;page
Old 04-29-2010, 10:13 PM

Sounds sweet. I still have the 350 and it's been a workhorse with very few hiccups since I got it.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 PM

I hope you're not trying to make us feel remorse for buying the best BD standalone known to man, HDTV1080P.

And as far as I'm concerned, with this:

Quote:
Yes, we'd rate the LG BD570 as marginally better, and the Oppo BDP-83 slightly superior to both

It's a wash...to say nothing of all the disc formats the Oppo supports. DVD-Audio has become a big deal for me, especially since it's easy to burn those oneself...as far as I can tell, that's not the case with SACDs.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 AM

If you read the reviews theres a guy who says the player wont recognise any of his external hard drives thru usb.I'd be concerned about that.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM

Trying to compare the S570 to the Oppo, with price as a factor, is a bit misleading if you ask me.

Does the S570 convert 50Hz to 60 Hz? Nope
Does the S570 have multichannel analog outs like the Oppo? Nope
Does the S570 allow for subtitle shifting? Nope
Can you get the S570 with a RS232 Port? Nope
Does the S570 hand video based content as well on BD and DVD? Nope (important for fans of concert BD's and DVD's)
Can you pull up the setup menu during movie playback? Nope
Can you split screen to see the effect of PQ adjustments? Nope
Is Sony support as good as Oppo support? Nope

Of course the S570 does have a couple of features like wi-fi and netflix that the Oppo doesn't. But to boil the difference between the two down to slight PQ differences and DVD-Audio playback is a bit misleading in my opinion.

Sounds like a good choice if you are starting a new home theater or need something basic though. Basically the S570 is your typical 3-Blade knife, while the Oppo is the swiss army knife of BD players. Its up to each user to decide if they need, or may need in the future, all the extra stuff you get for $250.

A more accurate comparison is between the S570 and the BDP80, as they are more alike than the 83. The BDP80 is only $289 vs $250 for the S570.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:37 PM

When I purchased a Sony television 20 years ago, one of the dealers I visited commented that a Sony was a poor choice, since they did not stock parts for their televisions locally. Of course another dealer pointed that Sony parts aren't really needed locally since the TVs don't break. Both sides are simply salesmen talk, of course, but that Sony TV I bought 20 years ago was our primary set for 15 years, and still works perfectly in a bedroom, and has never seen a repair of any type.

For what it is worth . . .
There is no way I would recommend an Oppo blu-ray player to anyone as their first blu-ray player purchase. It is a very capable and special player, but it seems to have its issues, which Oppo addresses as promptly as humanly possible. But I think it is a poor choice for a new blu-ray consumer.

I would recommend the Sony S570 to anyone, with confidence that it will perform admirably and serve their needs consistently and reliably for many years to come with few, if any, issues. It also has wi-fi, streaming and 3D, making it ready for the capabilities the industry seems to be waving about ad nauseum these days. Couple that with a reputation that Sony players seem able to play most any title the moment it hits the player, and you have the right CE device for the new blu-ray consumer.

Those of us who are tech savvy and have the need/desire for the unique capabilities the Oppo83 offers should consider spending the extra cash for that. But I would politely suggest that for 90% of the consumers out there, a model more like the Sony 570 is a far better choice.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Def Steve View Post
Sounds sweet. I still have the 350 and it's been a workhorse with very few hiccups since I got it.
I also owned two Sony BDP-S350's back in 2008. That was Sony's very first BD-LIVE profile 2.0 standalone player. It was slow loading some java Blu-ray discs but it was also very reliable player that was well supported with firmware updates. Never had a problem playing new releases on it. I ended up giving the players to some family members I know and upgraded to several OPPO BDP-83 players. There are many good players on the market like OPPO, Panasonic, and Sony.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
I hope you're not trying to make us feel remorse for buying the best BD standalone known to man, HDTV1080P.

And as far as I'm concerned, with this:

It's a wash...to say nothing of all the disc formats the Oppo supports. DVD-Audio has become a big deal for me, especially since it's easy to burn those oneself...as far as I can tell, that's not the case with SACDs.
My main point is that the Sony BDP-S570 is a reference player in the area of speed and that it costs half the price as an OPPO BDP-83.

I did say in my post "Overall the OPPO BDP-83 is a better player than the Sony BDP-S570 since the OPPO has a better video processor and plays DVD-Audio discs."

If I was in a market for a new player today I would purchase a OPPO BDP-83 since it is still the best player on the market for video quality and it is currently the second fastest player at loading discs.

Now for a relative of mine that does not want to spend $499 for a player I would recommended either a new Panasonic model since it has excellent video processor or the Sony BDP-S570 since it plays SACD's and is the current king in loading speed.