Help Needed!!! (dmp-bd10a) & (tx-sr605) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Help Needed!!! (dmp-bd10a) & (tx-sr605)

Ok. I have the Onkyo (TX-SR605) receiver, and I just got the Panasonic (DMP-BD10A) Blu-Ray player. I need help with the audio set up. I'm using an HDMI connection. Please let me know if these setting are correct.

- PCM down conversion (OFF)
- Dolby Digital (BITSTREAM)
- DD Plus, Dolby TrueHD (PCM)
- DTS (BITSTREAM)
- DTS HD (BITSTREAM)

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfundora View Post
Ok. I have the Onkyo (TX-SR605) receiver, and I just got the Panasonic (DMP-BD10A) Blu-Ray player. I need help with the audio set up. I'm using an HDMI connection. Please let me know if these setting are correct.
I have a PS3 connected to my Onkyo 605 that just arrived this week. But, I'll give it a shot:

PCM down conversion (OFF)
- Correct. Setting downconversion ON would only be for receivers which can't handle 5.1/7.1 PCM, which the 605 can.

Dolby Digital (BITSTREAM)
- Yeah, that's OK - the 605 will then decode DD, which the BD10a can do as well (setting this to PCM would have the player do the decoding)

DD Plus, Dolby TrueHD (PCM)
- Yes, this will have the BD10a decode these which is necessary as it can't send TrueHD to the 605 as Bitstream for decoding.

DTS (BITSTREAM)
- Yes, same as Dolby Digital - the 605 will decode.
DTS HD (BITSTREAM)
- Try it & see if it works. If it does the 605 will display "DTS HD". But I think you'll have to change this to PCM & let the player decode.

Also note: A buddy on a satellite forum has the BD10 with the firmware update the 10a has. He tells me on a blu-ray disc with only DTS HD, the player decodes & sends it to his receiver via PCM. But, on a disc with DTS HD-MA, it only decodes the DTS 'core' at 1.5mbs.

While the Onkyo 605 is an excellent choice for "future proofing" when players can send TrueHD & HD-MA to it for decoding, the FAQ at OnkyoUsa.com says:

Q:Why is my receiver not showing Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, when the disc is showing that those formats are available through the disc?

A: Onkyo A/V receiver’s from TXSR 605 and up can decode Dolby TrueHD and the DTS –HD Master bitstream audio data. Currently there is no Blu-Ray or a HD DVD players on the market with the ability of providing this bit for bit audio streams. Players currently on the market are decoding True HD and DTS HD data and sending it through the HDMI connection as PCM. Because of this the receiver will display PCM Multi Channel. Only when players have the ability to send bitstream signals to the receivers will the receivers be able to decode the signal. Only then will True HD, Dolby Plus or DTS HD be displayed on the front panel.

Did you run the auto-setup yet with the microphone? I didn't like the results when I did, and after fiddling with manual adjustments decided to just start over and revert to factory defaults. If you ever need to do this, press the VCR/DVR button & the Standby/Power button on the player at the same time to re-set back to factory defaults.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Thanks.

I too did the manual adjustments. I didn't like the microphone setup.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:27 PM

Default answer me this

can someone answer this question: if bd players and hd dvd players cannot send truehd or dts hd ma bit 4 bit to an hdmi 1.3 receiver, what happens during the conversion to pcm?

does it maintain the same quality?

if its 24/48 dd or dts, does it get downconverted to 16/48?

what happens????
Old 06-25-2007, 04:07 PM

If the TrueHD soundtrack is 24/48, then the player will send out a 24/48 PCM stream to the receiver. If it's 16/48, then it will send out 16/48. There is no downconversion. There are no players that can internally decode DTS-HD MA so no one knows about that. Currently it is sent over as DTS core at 1.5mbps.

Hope that helps.