Default BDXL Spec Upgrades Blu-ray Storage to 128GB

BDXL Spec Upgrades Blu-ray Storage to 128GB:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...24&newsLang=en
Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
BDXL Spec Upgrades Blu-ray Storage to 128GB:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...24&newsLang=en
I predict that they will cost $75 at launch, take 24 hours to burn and will make for some very expensive coasters if there are any write errors!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 PM

Not so fast guys. Let's start off with agreeing on a BD spec that every studio will adhere to so we don't have to keep updating our BD player's firmware. We didn't have these compatibility issues with DVDs. So let's hold off on new media until we get the current version right.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 PM

Great, the Blu-ray Disc Association is now trying to make current blu-ray players obsolete, I smell profile 4 coming.
What happened to the 50GB is enough stance?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remastered View Post
Not so fast guys. Let's start off with agreeing on a BD spec that every studio will adhere to so we don't have to keep updating our BD player's firmware. We didn't have these compatibility issues with DVDs. So let's hold off on new media until we get the current version right.
50GB is more than enough space for a movie even in 3D. These are for industrial use for which there is a demand for.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluboy View Post
50GB is more than enough space for a movie even in 3D. These are for industrial use for which there is a demand for.
Being just for industry is not something I would bet on, besides IH-BD would appeal to studios.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
Being just for industry is not something I would bet on, besides IH-BD would appeal to studios.
I see, could you give me examples as to why? Thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluboy View Post
I see, could you give me examples as to why? Thanks
Easy, IH-BD can be written too, some blu-rays already write to memory cards, IH-BD would give them more control.
Plus an entire TV season could be put on one BDXL disc, not to mention some blu-rays now come with two BD disks like Watchman.

Not saying this push will happen soon, more like just in time for the PS4 if Sony has it's way.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
Easy, IH-BD can be written too, some blu-rays already write to memory cards, IH-BD would give them more control.
Plus an entire TV season could be put on one BDXL disc, not to mention some blu-rays now come with two BD disks like Watchman.

Not saying this push will happen soon, more like just in time for the PS4 if Sony has it's way.
BDXL is not for TV Shows or movies or consumer stuff. It is a new BD-R/RE format for use in Enterprise, Medical Imaging and such - for storage purposes.

You need a new BD recorder with a more powerful laser to read all the layers.

IH-BD is a two layered disc. One layer is a 25GB BD-ROM layer while the other layer is a 25GB BD-R/RE. You can't write over the BD-ROM layer like you can on the BD-R/RE layer.