Home Theater Blog says BDP-S300 PQ Better Than PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-22-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Home Theater Blog says BDP-S300 PQ Better Than PS3

Yeah I know it's JUST a blog and all that crap, but I was a little surprised to read this. I'm shopping around and want to know if anyone else believes this is true. Somebody else can post the link. It's in the review of the new player.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:22 PM

In the long run stand alone players will always be better than a game console so I bet the statement is true.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
In the long run stand alone players will always be better than a game console so I bet the statement is true.
Better? In what way?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:27 PM

I just took a big breath in order to tell you the 27 reasons why that isn't true. Then I decided that I wouldn't dignify Home Theater Blogs asinine statement with a responce.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
This statement is not accurate. In fact, I'd say because of the PS3's powerful hardware and easy-to-upgrade firmware, it is the most future-proof BD player out there, and it's been rated as one of the best BD players by every credible equipment review site out there. Try again.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
Better? In what way?
Game console hardware does not change. As technology progresses there will be new players out with better video/audio chips etc.

Now is the S300 better than a PS3 its possible. Honestly will you notice a difference probably not. Only people that will notice a difference are people with professional ISF calibrated sets and a trained eye to know what to look for. As far as this thread is concerned if there is any one stand alone BD player that offers better PQ than the PS3 it would have to be the Samsung BD-P1200. The HQV chip is top of the line.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
This statement is not accurate. In fact, I'd say because of the PS3's powerful hardware and easy-to-upgrade firmware, it is the most future-proof BD player out there, and it's been rated as one of the best BD players by every credible equipment review site out there. Try again.
I'm not down playing the PS3 at all. It is a top of the line player and at the moment is the best decision for those wanting a BD player that will be around for the long term.

If you remember the PS2 was an excellent DVD player back in its day but by todays standards there are much better players.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Game console hardware does not change. As technology progresses there will be new players out with better video/audio chips etc.
True, but....

Quote:
If you remember the PS2 was an excellent DVD player back in its day but by todays standards there are much better players.
One of the biggest things you are overlooking is the fact that Blu-Ray is an upgradeable technology...DVD was/is not. With that being said, there is still room for growth with the power of the cell processor. Standalones are not equiped with the same horsepower, only what is needed to decoded the BD disk at rates it is spec'd for. The PS3 was designed with a powerful processor for gaming which can also decode Blu-Ray disks (which I consider a perk).

Notice I am not saying which is better but merely making general (and valid) points. When you look at the whole picture, one can only realize there is no definite answer as to which is better.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:59 PM

I personally feel that a device who's soul purpose in life is to do one task is going to do it better and more efficiently than a device thats designed to do multiple tasks.

But in the end your talking points are correct that you cant really say that a stand alone device is going to look better than a PS3 or vice versa. PQ in the end is really going to come down to the gear, configuration, and the person doing the watching.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:12 PM

Does the PS3 have the BD hardware chips like stand-alones, or does it do it in software with the Cell processor, like a software player on a computer? I thought it was the latter. And the Cell is faster/better than the current on-board chips in the stand-alones.

If/because the PS3 uses software and the Cell processor, that software can be upgraded and improved through downloadable firmware updates. Stand-alones will continue to get better through better hardware, but you have to buy a new model to see the improvement. Of course stand-alones are getting firmware updates as well to add compatibility and functionality...

Also, do any of the stand-alones have built-in ethernet ports? I know it's a required feature on HD DVD players, but it's optional in Blu-Ray players. At least with the PS3, updating the firmware is very easy. On BD players, you may have to download the update, burn it to a disc, and install from the disc.