Can PS3s Play Region Free blurays? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Default Can PS3s Play Region Free blurays?

This probably has been asked before and I'm not a fan of the search engines on forums but I'm curious. I didn't take an interest in foriegn blurays because I had this naive thinking all blurays will get American releases but I'm come to a realization not all martial arts films will get American releases and I'm really interested in getting some of the Jackie Chan stuff and IP Man but my bluray player is a ps3 so will it play the region free blurays from the hong kong region?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 PM

HK is actually region A also so no problem, as this is the same region as the US.
but, to answer your question, the PS3 will play region free bds just fine, although it won't play any 50hz (PAL) material.
so if a region free disc happens to have a 50hz menu you won't be able to play it on a PS3.
just something to keep in mind, as there are a select number of discs that have this issue.
also, the PS3 cannot access (play) any extras that may be 50hz.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
HK is actually region A also so no problem, as this is the same region as the US.
but, to answer your question, the PS3 will play region free bds just fine, although it won't play any 50hz (PAL) material.
so if a region free disc happens to have a 50hz menu you won't be able to play it on a PS3.
just something to keep in mind, as there are a select number of discs that have this issue.
also, the PS3 cannot access (play) any extras that may be 50hz.
Is there a way of figuring out which ones do have that problem?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
Is there a way of figuring out which ones do have that problem?
AVSForum thread -

List of Blu-ray movies authored in 1080i50