Blu Ray Buy Now Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-20-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Blu Ray Buy Now Question

Greetings all, hope you're relaxed and happy and not getting upset about some posts here.

Anyways. I'm a neutral guy and currently own an HD DVD player simply because of the movie titles available fit me better than Blu Ray and the entry point was spot on. No, I don't regret my purchase, the a20 is a very nice machine.

I travel a lot to the States and I am thinking of picking up the new Panasonic DVD player that comes with a bunch (5 to 7 I think) of BD movies, incl. POTC, POTC2 and other stuff. None of which I want so I'll eBay to bring down my total cost. I thinking I should buy now just-in-case HD folds because right now HD and BD are in a cold war and the consumer is the winner, but if HD folds I can see the super deals go away and the prices perhaps even rise.

I'm just hedging my bets, remember, I'm neutral and don't really care about which format winning (if any) and my main objective it to just want to get in cheap by allowing the BD group to subsidize my purchase

Or maybe the new Sony, does it come with free movies as well to help offset the total cost?

Note: I'll never, ever buy off-brand CE devices, so asking me to wait for cheap Chinese garbage won't fly; it's either Sony or Panasonic or if by some miracle Pioneer produce something at a reasonable price...them.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

I don't see prices going up, if Blu-ray wins, they still have to convince people to use Blu-ray over DVD.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:22 PM

Just to let you know so far HD DVD has more titles beng released in the coming months. They aren't going to magically fold because of some good PR week. Sony said they "Won" the war 6 months ago and as far as I can see HD still has 35-40 percent of the disc market. Lol. BTW Prices aren't gonna ever go higher.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 PM

I wouldn't recommend getting anything other than the PS3 at this point. It's the only one which will be good for the life of Blu-ray, the rest of the players will do some of the features now but not all the features later. It's cheaper to buy from the states right now if you can bring it back without customs finding it.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
I wouldn't recommend getting anything other than the PS3 at this point. It's the only one which will be good for the life of Blu-ray, the rest of the players will do some of the features now but not all the features later. It's cheaper to buy from the states right now if you can bring it back without customs finding it.
Thanks but I don't want a PS3, I did look into it but it uses a blue tooth remote and I have a Harmony remote which is IR, and I don't want multiple remotes, and besides the game machine(s) are in the family room in the basement according to wife rule number one.

Those who responded seemed confident that the deals are here to stay so my best guess now is to wait and simply keep enjoying what I have.

Have a great evening guys and gals...mostly guys I guess

Last edited by Rob.D.inToronto; 06-20-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
I'm a neutral guy and currently own an HD DVD player simply because of the movie titles available fit me better than Blu Ray and the entry point was spot on. No, I don't regret my purchase, the a20 is a very nice machine.

I travel a lot to the States and I am thinking of picking up the new Panasonic DVD player that comes with a bunch (5 to 7 I think) of BD movies, incl. POTC, POTC2 and other stuff. .... if HD folds I can see the super deals go away and the prices perhaps even rise.

....my main objective it to just want to get in cheap by allowing the BD group to subsidize my purchase

Note: I'll never, ever buy off-brand CE devices, so asking me to wait for cheap Chinese garbage won't fly; it's either Sony or Panasonic or if by some miracle Pioneer produce something at a reasonable price...them.
A couple of things to consider before putting this one to rest: while agree with the other post on here that I wouldn't expect Blu-Ray prices to rise even if HD-DVD closed-shop tomorrow, you might find that you'll never see the same quality of build in players again. Now, I think you've inferred that price is a motivator for you, but something like the original Panasonic Blu-Ray, DMP-BD10 is an incredible device, if you look at specs. Not only is the design super-sleek, but it can decode DVD-Audio, as well as (with the latest firmware) Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD (not Master Audio yet) through the analog 7-channel outs. Not only that, but if you download the manual, it's spec'd at an earth-shattering 125db S/N ratio, and 118db dynamic range.

That aside, take if from one who is truly "format neutral-capable" (if not in passion) who owns the HD-A2 and the PS3: the PS3 should not be discounted as a 'game machine'. I feel your pain with the bluetooth remote (I have at least 10 major CE devices, and like universal remotes), but remember that also means that it could be hidden out-of-sight, and that it can sit vertical or horizontal. It certainly doesn't look like a game device. I have plenty of non-game devices, and it is THE showpiece component amidst my panel, HD-A2, Sony HD-DVR, D-VHS, DVD-R, etc.

The other reason why I would suggest you think again (or get your wife to think again) about PS3 is that, once you would use it, you would loath using your HD-A20 anymore. That 40sec boot-up time on the Toshiba? 10secs or less from power-up to play with the PS3. That stutter when you FF, step-frame, etc. on the Toshiba? Just fluid action on the PS3. The sometimes-pesky HDCP authentication? Never an issue on PS3, even when changing sources & changing back. Additionally, you can rip CD's straight to the 60gb hard drive and use it as a true media server. Load pics straight-in very easily, too (I'm thinking of getting one for my computer-shy Mom at some point). It really becomes much more than you expect, and you could conceivably never load a single game on it and be happy. Plus, it now upscales DVD's extraordinarily. It also plays SACD's, and will output DD TrueHD as PCM over HDMI 1.3, or directly output the streams (when receivers are available).

Going back to my "they might not make them like this again", if you ever did use PS3 for games, be aware that at some point in the future they may lower the cost by removing some hardware (in Europe, they replaced the PS2 backward-compatibility chip with software emulation).
Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonous View Post
A couple of things to consider before putting this one to rest: while agree with the other post on here that I wouldn't expect Blu-Ray prices to rise even if HD-DVD closed-shop tomorrow, you might find ...CE devices, and like universal remotes), but remember that also means that it could be hidden out-of-sight, and that it can sit vertical or horizontal. It certainly doesn't look like a game d....e point in the future they may lower the cost by removing some hardware (in Europe, they replaced the PS2 backward-compatibility chip with software emulation).
Now that is the kind of reply I live for. I had never thought about it from the angle of hardware quality decline (due to cost savings). I would think the Europeans are ticked at Sony, the PS3 costs a mint there as well.

But ok, I'll look into the PS3 as a BD machine in the next few months. I hear rumblings of a big price drop and am reluctant to buy something that can drop in price at any moment (I'm in mutual funds, can you tell?). Maybe I can buy the wife something nice while in DC to butter her up?

The Panasonic you mentioned, is that the one that just dropped to 599 US?

I have an old Panasonic dvd player that just keeps on working and plays everything I toss at it, even stuff that won't play on many other players.

Oh, and while the boot up time for the A20 is slow, I've honestly come to love the machine and it's ability to upscale, especially cartoons (CGI or not). Excellent value for the price.

If this silly "war" continues I'd recommend all you people who are BD only now pick up one.

But neutrality is not a popular stance!
Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

The Panasonic should be a good buy. I'm not sure when it will be available though.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Panasonic knows what they're doing with DVD players, of any kind. I haven't seen their Blu-ray Disc Player in action, but I can say from personal experience that their standard DVD players work like a charm and their up-converters do a fantastic job.

That being said, I think the PS3 is the safe bet at this point. The only thing that worries me (that you might check into) is that from what I've gathered the optical drive isn't as strong on the PS3 as it is on a stand alone player, thus it won't be as durable and hold up as well over time if used as a full-time Blu-ray Disc player. We shall see though.