PS3s Reportedly Not Playing Blu-ray Discs after Firmware Update - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
The article mentioned the 3.01 update so..is that the issue or the 3.0?? Cant believe Sony's answer to this is to ask their customers to PAY $150 to fix the drive that Sony themselves caused!! WTF is that!! ''Oh.. sorry we caused your PS3 to not work anymore..but if you pay us $150 we will fix it for you'' Bad move Sony.
I have no problems using 3.01 on my original 60GB (500GB now).
Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Is this going to be Sony's response if we get an update that is more of a widespread and bigger problem in the future?? To ask their customers to pay $150 to repair their PS3 that they caused to brick up??!!?? It's not like we have a choice on updates. Most of them are required, correct?
That's what I am worried about...when the blus require the update to play. I believe I have the 3.0 update and if it is the 3.01 thats buggy, i don't want to take a $150 gamble on the player crashing to watch a movie!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM

It may really be a drive failure, but caused by Sony. I thought they were also using the new 3.0 platform to reduce the power consumption of the PS3 by tweaking spin speeds, power down cycles, etc. Basically optimizing the system, which also means updating the drive firmware.

Maybe they pushed it as far as they could and some systems with drives that were borderline passes on QC performance checks are now crapping out. Every drive out of a manufacturing run doesn't perform equally, just at or above a minimum standard set by Sony.

All their development rigs are probably assembled with had selected parts that had the best performance checks in manufacturing, so it wasn't a problem there.

A standard $150 repair on a now $300 system is a ridiculous amount to ask anyway. It should be about $75. Having one rate for everything is ridiculous. It would be like buying a $1000 PC from Dell and when the $100 drive broke, Dell telling you it would be $500 to swap it out. And if lightning strikes and fries the whole thing, it will still be $500 to swap out everything.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian42677 View Post
I have no problems using 3.01 on my original 60GB (500GB now).
I also have a 60gb and no problems.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:42 PM

Hmm

Sinse the updates which initially allowed 2.0 Spec + dts-HDMA I felt no need to update the system. Its a BD player first, gaming console second imo.

edit

BTW, this is not the first firmware which has caused BD playback problems. Shortly after they had a firmware fix. If people are experiencing problems again with the latest update, I expect Sony will have a firmware fix just like the last issue.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pob14 View Post
I upgraded to 3.01, and just played Wall-E yesterday, along with several games this weekend. No problems here.
There are no problems with the firmware. I'm frankly surprised FUD like this actually made it to the front page of HDD as if it were breaking news. Very sad when anecdotes pass for empirical evidence.

Brandon
Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 PM

I did the update a few days ago and experienced exactly what is being stated here. Whether I play a disc or not, the unit will shut down after a brief time now. I actually thought it might be unrelated, but it seems far too convenient that it happened shortly after this update exactly as described. I wouldn't call that anecodtal.

This isn't a "news" site per se, so the information provided can't necessarily be taken as absolute fact, just like EVERYTHING else on the internet.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:42 PM

Ugh if this is a firmware thing that can be addressed with an update I'd be pissed. I JUST had this problem over the weekend and was considering plunking down the $150 to fix my 60GB. Instead, i opted to get a Slim since I thought a newer system would have no problems.

If my problems could've been fixed with a free update, I'd be pretty upset.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 PM

i've read this firmware is optional so it's not necessary for anything except the uncharted fix, i'd say if you don't need it, don't update unless they make you
Old 09-29-2009, 06:11 PM

I haven't even updated mine to 3.0 yet. Tells you how much I use my PS3. I was tempted to do so just to see what changes were made but held off after hearing of some issues. Guess I'll hold off a little longer just to see how it plays out.

60 gig'er here btw.